Union myths. Do you agree with Thomas Sowell?

The biggest myth about labor unions is that unions are for the workers. Unions are for unions, just as corporations are for corporations and politicians are for politicians.

Nothing shows the utter cynicism of the unions and the politicians who do their bidding like the so-called "Employee Free Choice Act" that the Obama administration tried to push through Congress. Employees' free choice as to whether or not to join a union is precisely what that legislation would destroy.

Workers already have a free choice in secret-ballot elections conducted under existing laws. As more and more workers in the private sector have voted to reject having a union represent them, the unions' answer has been to take away secret-ballot elections.

Under the "Employee Free Choice Act," unions would not have to win in secret-ballot elections in order to represent the workers. Instead, union representatives could simply collect signatures from the workers until they had a majority.

The rest of the article

http://townhall.com/columnists/thomassowell/2011/03/08/union_myths

Carpy

Asked by Carpy at 10:50 PM on Mar. 8, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Employees, regardless of where you work or whether you are part of a union have no job security. No one has my back but me. I have little faith in the union protecting me and my rights as an employee should the need arise. Like you said, Union is for Union. I'm just the little guy that can be easily replaced.
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 11:06 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Yes, I completely agree with him! Union reps are nothing more than leeches, that are thriving off of other people's money.
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 12:25 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• – collapse
    Oh Carpy, give your hatred of unions a rest. All you will do is get Lori and the rest of your hate brigade to join in the fray and vote each other up . So silly.
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 12:30 AM on Mar. 9, 2011 (hidden) + expand

• Hypocrisy at it's finest. Why should a person be forced to stand face to face with an individual and tell them why they don't want to vote them into power?

It's ridiculous.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:37 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• I usually agree with Thomas Sowell's articles, and this is no exception. Unions are for unions. Forget 'show me the money'. Give me the money. Now. They say they'll protect the workers, but they take the dues and insist that the workers pretty much pledge their loyalty to the union. 'I own you; do and think as I say.' How sad is that? Then some of the unions try to control the taxpayers. 'Give us more of your money or else we'll stop giving you our workers.' It doesn't matter that the workers already have more than enough and the taxpayer doesn't have any more to give. It doesn't matter that children go without their teachers and cities go without their police or fire protection. It's all about the money. Union members are pawns, almost slaves to the union bosses. There is no honor in this.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 7:32 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Absolutely! EFCA is a horrible piece of legislation that does nothing of what it's title leads you to believe. Unless they really mean that you will be freed from the ability to make a choice. A simple majority means 50% + 1 and the law allows union reps to bother employees at home as many times as it needs to in order to obtain a signed card. It takes away the secret ballot so that anyone that wants to actively disagree with the majority of the union members and representatives have to do so publicly, and we see how diplomatic they take disagreement (sarcasm).

Yes, I agree with Sowell.  Unions are not for the workers, they are for their dues.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 7:52 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Unions are for money to back politicians with, to get what they want.
    The members want money, and their wants met.
    So, the people and the Reps are kinda the same.
    One could say that the unions are for the workers, but what the workers want in 2011 is NOT the same as 1940.
    In 1940 workers wanted to stay alive on the job.
    Now, they want to slack at work and earn more than the private sector for their entire lives.
    Time to bust up the Unions.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:16 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• I agree that some Unions are as he says but not all of them are, just as some companies that don't have unions treat and pay their employees well but not all companies do or would.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 8:18 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• And btw, the comment made about Lewis being a great oil salesman is true. It was during the 50's when Lewis was on top that coal mining started to decline as petroleum was being used more and more for transportation and industry. Causing the greatest US Internal migration ever, from Appalachia to Industrialized areas like Cleveland and Detroit, Chicago. People fled coal mining for gasoline driven industry to finally become prosperous with employment. And then of course, the Unions took over Manufacturing in those regions-which are now ghost towns. Wherever the Unions were, poverty now reigns.

jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:23 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• HA!!
    I made the comment above before I read page 2.
    History is my best friend today.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:25 AM on Mar. 9, 2011