my husband recently became unimployed and we have 4 children and only $900 for chistmas gifts any suggestions on what we can get our children my oldest is 12,8,6,4monthsold thanks ahead of time.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:35 PM on Nov. 22, 2008 in General Parenting

• Why not get a game system with some games and the 12, 8 and 6 yr old can have that as their big gift together. Then buy each their own game? 4 mths old is alot harder. Id say a glow worm and some clothes.

Answer by gemgem at 3:38 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• I am sorry to hear about your trouble. All I can think is to explain to the children that the economic times are rough and that they can have one nice gift. Then see if you can get that, within reason of course, and maybe a couple small fun items. Do many family things on the holidays so that what they remember are the good times. It may be a good time to emphasize the true meaning of Christmas and not the commercial aspect. You may even want to have them choose gifts for children who will have no presents otherwise, so that they can see there are people worse of than they are. Best of luck with this, and hugs.

Answer by Bmat at 3:40 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• Hrmm...I have 4 kids and we've NEVER spent 900 on their gifts. Thats a crazy expensive amount! :-O Honestly I about fell over when you said 900 for christmas gifts and "economic troubles" in one sentence. My oldest is 7 and the youngest is a year old. The most we've ever spent for them is $100 per child. Last year it was $60 per child. Look for bargains year round, get them one nice toy they want and then "little" things they can use such as clothing, chapsticks they may like etc.
    SmileyMoo

Answer by SmileyMoo at 3:51 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• yeah, I was thinking that too. I would kill to have $900 for xmas gifts. Take off one of those zeros and that's what I got.
    MammaMia72

Answer by MammaMia72 at 3:55 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• Wow, I wouldn't complain too much. My daughter's birthday is Dec. 22, and then we have x-mas. I only have $100 to spend all together for both those days. Try Dollar General, or other Dollar stores for a lot of fill in gifts, and then get them each on BIG gift that they will love.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 3:55 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• There are plenty of things you can buy for $900 bucks. Depends on the gender and personality of each child. You can get a bike at Wal-Mart for $35. Bikes always were a big hit with my kids. You can get an MP3 player on sale for as little as $30 bucks. My kids loved these when they got a little older, say age 12. The 4mo old is super easy because you can buy him/her more practical things since he/she is so little still. Like Bmat suggested a glow worm and clothes. Kids like to open presents. You can buy small things at the dollar tree and it will seem to them like they are getting more. They sell puzzles at the dollar tree. My kids have always loved those too. I raised all boys, can't give much input on gifts for girls.
    pinkink

Answer by pinkink at 3:57 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• This just shows me that some people don't know what tough times are....I can't even imagine spending $900 on 4 children.........We spend maybe $400 on about 20 people, and even that's a stretch on my comfort level.
    Kimebs

Answer by Kimebs at 4:08 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• Wow - you are blessed. My son is getting Legos, and his birthday is on the 12th (he just found his birthday present and opened it and put it together - his loss, there won't be anything else) and he is getting legos for Christmas too. My older boy want's gift cards to Aeropostel etc... You can do soooooo muchwith that $ and still have lots left over to do things for your family,. Games aren't too expensive, candyland, chutes and ladders etc... everyone has things on sale now, and you can even get som einexpensive dvd's at Walmart or try Ebay too. If I had $900 I'd be paying bills and my kids would have everything they wanted plus
    Anonymous

• Ignore other people's criticism, first of all. You are blessed to be able to do so much for your children, and I think other people are jealous they cannot. I would have each of your kids make a list of their top 3 gifts on their wish list, in order. From there you can assess your finances and what would work best. As for the baby, go for things he/she needs right now. Happy shopping!
    KDW211

Answer by KDW211 at 4:20 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• Well $900 to me would be a hardship. Why? I save through the year for gifts for my kids and they get around $400 a peice spent on them. Some find it excessive but I dont. Just save through the year and you will find you have money for christmas. Its that simple. There are christmas savings clubs you can join and put back $25 a week in them and have a good amount for your kids at christmas. No reason to dog on this woman because you happen to think $900 is alot of money. Maybe to her, like me, it isnt.
    Anonymous