How do open relationships work? Somebody plz explain!

I know nothing about them but think i might be in one soon... Confusing, I know, but just help... What are the guidelines? Are their rules? How do they work?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:30 PM on Mar. 8, 2011 in Relationships

• They don't.....the open relationship is not a relationship at all is a booty call instead. If you have any respect for yourself, don't do it. You will only be objectifing yourself and your SO.
    Maureen-MD

Answer by Maureen-MD at 11:35 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• You guys set the rules like whether you have to get approval before doing it with someone. Also, usually your SO is who you do things with like go to movies and out to dinner with and spend time with on an emotional level and you are just allowed to have sex with other people. This is very tender territory b/c it can hurt feelings. If things aren't all they could be in your committed sexual relationship, there are ways to improve them without screwing other people.
    huntin_mama

Answer by huntin_mama at 11:45 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• canofwormsit is like opening a can of worms, just my opinion

you can set up any rules you like,
    still the chances that it will cross a line not in rulebook,
    not even considered maybe, are much higher

if you love this partner, think twice about doing this

relationships hard enough without adding more to equation

good luck

fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 7:30 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• You first in your relationship find the "ground rules" of what you are each able to accept of one another ... you need to openly talk about personal feeling as each "open" relationship differs- then you will know..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:48 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• basically you date each other and other people at the same time
    alinker

Answer by alinker at 11:55 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Yes they do. If your SO wants to have sex with someone (or you do) you just tell the other person. That's it. Simple.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:00 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• I think it's disgusting. I used to think about doing it but then one of my husband's ex-conrads was talking about how many women he screws with his wife and I just threw up in my mouth. I couldn't be a trashy ho like that. I like sex but not that damn much.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 2:26 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Pick up the book "The Ethical Slut." It will explain much more than I could type here. Feel free to PM me if you'd like.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 12:11 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• It's like being single when you're married. You're free to screw whoever you want but you have to come home to your man.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 11:40 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• It's a relationship with no strings attached, no rules, no boundaries.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 8:22 AM on Mar. 9, 2011