What is the difference is Episcopal and Catholic?

Do they have the same beliefs? A friend is Episcopal and said it was aka Catholic light, what does that mean? and aka Catholic with out the guilt?

tigerlilly_714

Asked by tigerlilly_714 at 12:21 AM on Jul. 9, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• my daughter went to an episcopial school this year and as far as i can tell, they allow you to divorce and they allow their ministers or priests or whatever (they call them father) to marry. that's the only one i've found. episcopal is the church of england.
    princezzmommie

Answer by princezzmommie at 12:32 AM on Jul. 9, 2008

• I don’t know either religion very well but doesn’t Catholicism believe that Jesus’ mom, Mary, was also a divine conception as was Jesus? Which by the way, she wasn’t.
    I don’t think Episcopalians believe this theory. They seem to have the same religious traditions but not quite the same belief system. Their rules seem to be more lenient than Catholic rules.
    Anonymous

• I'm Catholic and I have never heard of Mary being born by divine conception. Try going to local churches and ask these questions. You will find out that there are only minor differences between religions.
    wilbursdaughter

Answer by wilbursdaughter at 12:39 PM on Jul. 11, 2008

• Catholics don' believe Mary was a divine conception like Jesus (and neither do Episcopalians).

One big difference is that Episcopalians don't accept the authority of the pope. And as a Episcopalian friend of mine says "everything is up for debate" in the Episcopalian church. So there are so many different Episcopalian sects and that don't all have the same beliefs. So you can find some Episcopalian churches that allow divorce and remarriage, have women clergy, some have practicing homosexual clergy, allow artifical birth control, and are pro-choice. Not all Episcopalian churches accept all these things but no Catholic Church accepts them.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 1:33 PM on Aug. 31, 2008