Do you pay for parents at your kids bday parties??

I'm trying to plan a bday party for my DD (turning 9), but there's also going to be a lot of adults and family. We want to have it at an amusement park, so I want some of the parents to attend because having a bunch of kids at an amusement park will be too insane for me to keep up with. The party package is $200 which includes: 10 unlimited bands for rides all day, 3 large pizzas, drinks, 10 ice creams, and 10 NON RIDING admissions ($5 for each additional person, or $10 for additional person using the rides). So, if I book this, should I pay for the extra adults admissions or just the kids bands? If I don't include the additional adults, what should I say without coming across rude or something? Would you expect to have your admission included for a kids birthday party?

brandy0827

Asked by brandy0827 at 11:35 PM on Mar. 8, 2011 in Entertainment

• Don't feel like you have to explain yourself about money from one unthoughtful comment. I think thats a great price for everything you will be getting.

What I would do is in the invite lay out the ground rules this invite is for child and 1 parent if you would like to include anyone else it will cost _____ . I would not find it rude at all if I got an invite that said that.
    Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 11:55 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• PS: What I DO NOT pay for, is parents who bring their other kid that wasn't invited. I hate it when people bring siblings and expect them to be welcome. It's not fair to anyone and the sibling never gets a goodie bag (head count is off).
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:50 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Well I'm not "rich" but yes I would pay for everyone to get in and ride.  I wouldn't EXPECT it to be done for me but I would expect enough notice to come up with the money.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 11:43 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• If you want to encourage the parents to stay and help I say pay for them.
    Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 11:45 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Awesome point jeanclaudia.  I have 4 children.  If one of them was invited I would expect to pay for my other 3 to join.  Ewww, this is a tough one.  I would send out birthday invitations and have everyone pay for themselves.  Otherwise you might end up with people like jeanclaudia has just spoken on.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 11:52 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Ohhhhhhhhhh Charis76, that's an AWESOME idea!

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 12:00 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Wow! Whatever happened to cake and ice cream at home?
    kbakeman

Answer by kbakeman at 12:08 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• I always pay for the adults. But that is just me. Sometimes, these party places will give a special adult rate for parties.
    ARgal

Answer by ARgal at 11:37 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• I would definately pay for the adults admission and food. I don't think they should expect for ride passes but admission is a MUST!
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 11:38 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Bday parties here in Seattle (Swim, bouncy houses, indoor sports arena) START at $235 and end up being closer to 300 with food and gift bags. So I feel your pain but I would say if parents are coming to help "watch" for the kids, you're probably stuck paying for them unless you reduce the kid number and can manage with you and your husband. Some parents may pay their way but I'd suspect it's best to cover their entry fee.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:48 PM on Mar. 8, 2011