Potty Training

My son is doing VERY well with potty training when it comes to peeing. He HATES a pee pee diaper and is always going potty like a big boy but for some reason hes having trouble pooping in his big boy potty. Does anyone know why this is or what i can do to help him with that?!

shellychivell

Asked by shellychivell at 11:36 PM on Mar. 8, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Without allowing him to get a rash, leave it on him for a little while. It's not very comfy so hopefully encourage him to put it elsewhere. Stickers worked for us. Whenever she went in potty, she got to put a sticker on the chart. She loved it. Now we are working on nighttime dryness and been dry for 5 days in a row and a total of 14 days in the last month!!! She will be 3 in less than 2 weeks.
    huntin_mama

Answer by huntin_mama at 11:43 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• My son would repeatedly poop in his underwear when we were there. On the advice from another site I did the following: 1) I had a conversation with him one night at dinner to find out what was going on. From that conversation I learned that we had monsters living in out toilet that would try and get him whenever he pooped. So, 2) we set up a step to help him get up on the seat and squat on the seat to poop. That was the end of the poopy underwear.

Hindsight tells me now that it was the splashing that was getting, and scaring, him.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 11:55 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• ok i think he might like the sticker chart. he loves when we go to walmart and he gets stickers! defently will try that. and i will also try talking to him about why de doesnt want to poop in his potty...also theres been a few times when hes pooped in his pull ups and he takes it out and throws it in the toilet. one time he got poop all over him, his toilet and the floor. i was so mad. i just hope i can get something out of him.
    shellychivell

Comment by shellychivell (original poster) at 12:06 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• i once read to have them watch you dump it in the toilet and i just thought that was the worst idea because they would try it themselves. let him be involved in every part of the training. if he doesn't like the potty you have now, take him to the store to pick out one of his own. let him pick out special wipes for poo poo, let him buy special soap so that it is a big deal. then when he does it make a super huge deal out of it, daddy come look, brothers and sisters come look. how big he is. i bought a regular toilet seat that had a built in little kid seat. it was awesome because i wasn't stuck cleaning out a poopy potty and my daughter loved it because it was grown up potty, nothing kiddy about it. and she loved the stickers chart and when she got 5 she got a special toy out of the box (dollar store toys) so he realizes the stickers are worth something
    mrs.trial

Answer by mrs.trial at 2:55 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• my daughter did and does still do that same thing. she will go peepee on potty but not poop.
    ginahodges21

Answer by ginahodges21 at 10:56 AM on Mar. 9, 2011