He sucks on his fingers when I'm trying to feed him!

My darling 8mo son recently started sucking on his fingers when I try to feed him solids. I know babies do this to help swallow but this is beyond that. I have to hold his hands down in order to get a spoonful in his mouth. He's hungry at the time I'm feeding him and isn't resisting in any other way (crying, turning his head etc) he just wants his fingers! It's driving me nuts! Any tips?

alinker

Asked by alinker at 12:02 AM on Mar. 9, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would hand him a block or a spoon or something to keep his hands busy while he is eating. Distraction is the key to many baby issues. Good luck!
    mrs.coop

Answer by mrs.coop at 12:05 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• You could try toys or maybe giving him little gerber puffs to try and pick up. If its something recent he just started doing and he was eating fine before, I'd just keep taking him hands out of his mouth. Try not to get frustrated or say anything, just time and time again, take them away and give him bites of food. If its something hes been doing as youve been feeding him the whole time, I'd keep trying to feed him around them for a bit longer. He could just need to suck on something to help him get the food down so he needs a little more time to figure out the whole eating situation.
    Kayere

Answer by Kayere at 12:33 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• I would try to distract him while eating.
    ss1436

Answer by ss1436 at 12:50 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• I know exactly what you are going through....My 8 month old was doing the same thing a month or so ago. I found a solution! I went to Wal-Mart and bought the munchkin fresh food feeder for 3 bucks. You can put fruits, veggies, and even meat in the net and let him feed himself......It is great, and you can even put all organic foods in the net (if you get in to that). Also my baby is cutting his fourth tooth and I put an ice cup in the net and he loves that too!

I hope this helps you! Good luck!

.

RiaChristine

Answer by RiaChristine at 2:16 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• My son is doing that now and he is 5months old. he is teething just like my son is, anything that he can chew on will make him feel better,he will so, he will put his fingers in his mouth and eat at the same time.
    2boysyahoo.com

Answer by 2boysyahoo.com at 10:40 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Give him finger foods instead of spooned purees. He's well ready for them.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:43 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• RiaChristine ~ Thanks for the munchkin product - I will be trying that :)
    Peggs11

Answer by Peggs11 at 1:21 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• lol i love this so much not!!!
    just a phase i think may be teeth who knows i wish they could tell us sometimes why they do what they do but i like the suspense lol
    Amanda11810

Answer by Amanda11810 at 11:43 AM on Mar. 13, 2011