I need mediation. My husband has put me in a difficult position. I feel like he wants ME to decide to get rid of his dog.

Over nine months ago greater pressure was instilled by my 12 yr old and husband that "Our family needs a dog!". I was not and am still not ready for a dog. After months of pleading I finally relented, with what I thought I made clear and still state " That this is NOT my dog. I do not have time to train it, Take care of it, or Excercise it.
I have five kids, three being under the age of five, two of those still in diapers.

my.yikes

Asked by my.yikes at 12:07 AM on Mar. 9, 2011 in Pets

• If I were you, I wouldn't do a THING with the dog and let your husband clean up after it, walk it, feed it, take it to the vet, etc. Once he sees it was too overwhelming then HE can find the dog a new home. You were just heading a problem off at the pass by voicing serious concerns. You're his scapegoat. Don't be, let him deal with the dog he desperately wanted.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 12:12 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Treat him like one of the kids... stay on him to take care of the dog. It's his responsibility!!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 12:12 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• I would tell him it's his decision. You didn't want the dog in the first place. If it helps sit down together and write out the pros and cons of having the dog. If you decide to keep it, make a dog-chore chart. It should name each chore it takes to care for the dog and the people responsible for each chore should trade weekly. That is a tough situation.
    alinker

Answer by alinker at 12:14 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• I would tell him he had to care for it or it had to go. He can't expect you to care for 5 kids and his dog. I am going through the same thing, my SO wants a dog and my son wants a puppy, but I really do not want one because we have a baby on the way and it seems like more stress. My son gets tired of my parents dog after a few minutes of us being there so I know if we got one he would complain about it really quick.
    kayaiden8907

Answer by kayaiden8907 at 12:16 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Where is the 12 year old in this?

I would place the ball right back in their court and hand them the dog, the leash, the dog dishes and the food scoop and say, "Here you go!"

Remind son and husband that this is their pet and their responsibility. They need to handle it, you stated your position and you have your hands full with the babies. The dog is their deal and make that crystal clear to both of them.

spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 12:27 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Tell him either take care of the dog or get rid of it. Doesn't want to do either of those then he needs to go.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 10:57 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Make him a sticker chart like you would for the kids and let him know he has to take care of the dog HE wanted or HE has to get rid of it. You are not taking responsibility for his pet.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:58 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• ya seriously moms have too much on our plates,adding to that with a dog is a big chore. Kids are a good option to take care of the dog it will help them burn off energy! If the kids and hubby don't want to care for the dog I say get rid of it cause you don't need your hands filled anymore than they already are.
    MarGeee

Answer by MarGeee at 10:59 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• My son did the same thing, he was 16 at the time. He was on and on about wanting a dog and my fil found a puppy. Alot of people dump their animals on our farm. Anyway I said no we would be getting rid of the puppy because that is what I try to always do (find them good homes). I have 2 small dogs that are inside dogs I take care of myself. They are elderly dogs. I told him & fil I had no time for a new puppy when I had two old girls inside who needed constant care basically. He got it anyway, and as I speak he is sitting at his sisters and I have his (untrained) dog in the spare room because its raining.
    If I had to do it over Id have gotten rid of the dog as soon as I saw he was not taking care of it. I would tell them they have 2 wks to show some interest or the dog is gone. The dog deserves better is what i told mine./

Answer by gemgem at 11:00 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• my husband was the same way I broke down and got a dog but ne never ended taking care of it and I said OKay its time to get rid of the dog I really dont want to give to a shelter but all teh rescues in our area are full
    gabsmome

Answer by gabsmome at 2:59 PM on Mar. 9, 2011