About animal neglect

I move to this country about a yr and a half ago so I apologize but Im still not very familiar with the law in california about pets, and I have not had any pets since I came here because I really do not have time for them. I share the backyard with some family they had a chihuahua a female when I first move, then they got another one a male they always keep them tied to a tree no one played with them and then my neighbor told me she got tired of the female and let her loose on the street so someone will take her, then they got another small dog dont know the race it look like a mop very furry.
Anyway they left for a month she said my daughter is going to watch the house but she did not took care of the dogs it was freezing and the little chihuahua got a broken leg and they sometimes did not had water or food so I went every morning to put water and food on their plates but when the dog got a broken leg because he got the leg tangled on the leash call her and she said she was coming back in a few days, they did not took him to the vet as far as I know the dog just disappear and now they have another one and seems that they have untied the furry one. The dogs are always crying because they only put water and food for them in the morning and if they spill the water since its in a bowl they wont have any until the afternoon if they come out to the back yard.
My question is Is that LEGAL, I thought you had to get a license to have a pet have them microchiped?but I guess since the puppies are not registered no one can trace them back to them? I don't think this is right.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:13 AM on Mar. 9, 2011 in Pets

• Call animal control ASAP! Whatever county you are in should have animal control and tell them you're observing serious animal neglect.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 12:15 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• I would call animal control, that is really sad!
    kayaiden8907

Answer by kayaiden8907 at 12:20 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• There is no law that I am aware of, which requires owners to microchip their pets. Most likely these dogs are not chipped, therefore untraceable, yes.

There are laws against abuse and neglect, and these owners do sound like nightmare dog owners. I agree that you should call animal control and have them investigated, and give your report. If they let the animals wander, it is possible that animal control has picked the others up. I really wonder what happened to the broken leg dog?

Do you have wildlife, like coyotes or fox in your area? A small dog is pretty easy prey if you have animals like that nearby too.

Poor puppies!
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 12:22 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• That needs to be reported to animal control right away. That is animal cruelty and they can and will be charged with it. Make the call, please...
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 12:26 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Yes I want to call animal control but I wanted to know if besides the neglect they are braking any other law? because I call them when the other one got the leg broke so they leave a note that said they had to take him to the vet but they did not seem to follow up after that because they never showed up again. And then the dog disappear
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:32 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Your problem was moving to California
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 10:55 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• omg i would so call animal control those people would get busted for animal neglect and or abuse...that is not cool at all...
    littlekitty2002

Answer by littlekitty2002 at 1:48 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• here in Georgia, it is illegal to tie your dog to anything, even if it's in your own back yard. If someone has their dog tied up here in GA, you can call animal control on them & they will give them a citation with a warning. If they do it again, their dog gets taken away.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 1:55 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Absolutely call animal control, that's serious neglect and abuse... As for the law, it's different per county. Where I live, we actually ARE required to have our dogs microchipped in order to get a license. Of course, not everybody reports having a dog, but if you call Animal Control, they will either HAVE to do it, or get fined and/or made to give up their pets.

Honestly, if I'd see something like that, I would have taken the dogs myself...
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 1:57 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Thanks to all you guys I call them today and they are going to investigate and regarding taking the dogs myself I was told not to because that it is in fact illegal and for the gal who said that my problem was to move to california, seriously how did you got the pets 101? now I know that having that next to your name doesn't mean you give a crap about pets.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:10 PM on Mar. 9, 2011