My 3 year old has a REALLY bad attitude and more...HELP!!!

I have a 3 year old and for the last month or so maybe more she has been nothing but a headache pretty much. I am sure it probably has something to do with the fact that she now has a 3 month old sister but I am at my wits end I don't know what to do! She is always throwing fits and crying all the time over silly things or when she doesn't get her way, etc. She not only cries, but she will scream and throw fits. She talks back and not only that, she will yell at me and disobey me no matter what I tell her. What can I do to help the situation? Anything would be helpful, I knew it would be different when the new baby came, but this is ridiculous! HELP PLEASE!!!

Bamzakarat

Asked by Bamzakarat at 12:49 AM on Mar. 9, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• have you been spending enough time with her? Maybe she is feeling neglected since her sister came. Have you tried making sure to spend some time with ehr everyday, uninterupted while someone else watches her sister for a bit?
    Kayere

Answer by Kayere at 12:57 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Make sure she gets enough one on one time with you and your SO so she feels special and does not feel replaced. Plus make her your "big" helper with getting wipes for the baby, diapers, etc. Some of the best advice I got as a new mom was to make it about the older child when the new baby came home. Take her to lunch, go to the park with just her, for examples, and say that babies can not do this...........it is something big girls get to do. Anything like that. It worked wonders with my son. And make sure she is getting tons of hugs and kisses and praise when she does things right. Best wishes to all of you.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 6:43 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• she feels she isn't getting the amount of attention she feels she is entitled to; she was an only child for 2 years after all and had your undivided attention; sit down with her and explain that you have two of them that you love very much and have to do things with; and maybe set a day when it can be just the 2 of you so that she knows she is still special

Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 9:11 AM on Mar. 10, 2011