Human waster (urine) causing groundwater contamination!??

We so overmedicated as a society that we're hurting ourselves and future!
A vast array of pharmaceuticals -- including antibiotics, anti-convulsants, mood stabilizers and sex hormones -- have been found in the drinking water. Source: cnn.com
But most [water] treatments do not remove all drug residue. source: foxnews.com

When are we going to toughen up and get off these drugs? when fish are permanently happy and can't lay eggs?

thundernlight

Asked by thundernlight at 3:57 PM on Nov. 22, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• Never mind that....you know what happens when you use bleach, or any cleaning solution? Where did you think that ended up?
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 4:18 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• It also takes our bodies WAY more time to decompose after death due to preservitives (morbid I know)
    I have two ulcers and a hernia (stomach) and dont take anything, I just avoid ibuprofin, and what not. I dont like to take pills
    My grandmother died when a super strain (immune to anitbiotics) got into her gall bladder. The bacteria is becoming more and more immune to the anitbiotics because of the over use.
    Anonymous

• Cleaning products have gone "green", when will people do that for their own bodies and stop taking so many drugs!
    thundernlight

Answer by thundernlight at 8:33 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• Whew thank God( once again!!) we have our own well that was just dug in 2004!!
    Aprilmorgans

Answer by Aprilmorgans at 9:02 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• lol aprilmorgans...maybe raid your neighbor's medicine cabinet to see what you're up against! ;)
    thundernlight

Answer by thundernlight at 9:11 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• Most of these do not come from urine - they come from people dumping old pills down the potty to get rid of them.

If you have old pills to get rid of, here are two choices:
    Crush them up, put them in a pill bottle, add water, seal in a baggie and throw out.
    OR (even better)
    Take them to a pharmacy that collects them for proper disposal. I've heard that CostCo will take them, even if you aren't a member.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 10:25 PM on Nov. 22, 2008