Private or Public School?

I have a 3 year old and I am wanting to start looking into schools. I want to maybe put her in head start or something sometime really soon. I am not sure if private or public school is better. I went to private school pretty much for all of my schooling years and my husband went to public for most of his. Anyone have any feelings, thoughts, opinions? Also should I put her in head start? She is VERY smart and is potty trained except over night. Thanks.

Bamzakarat

Asked by Bamzakarat at 12:56 AM on Mar. 9, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Headstart is always the way to go. But, just remember, with headstart your child has to be able to wipe after a potty break and pull up/button/snap his/her own clothes. From the rules here, no staff member is allowed to assist your child anymore.

As far as the public/private school... that's all going to depend on what kind of schools are in your area. I went to private school for my entire schooling, even college was a private college. Hubby is like yours, public school. The public schools are changing though. Too many gangs and too much violence/bad language. You just have to weigh out the pros and cons of each.

Good luck.
    AtHomeMommy-3

Answer by AtHomeMommy-3 at 12:59 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Head start programs differ from city to city. Locally, no I would not put my son in our head start. It's a joke. But in just the next county over, their head start program is phenomenal. It's all based on the funding available in your city/district. I went to both private and public for grade school, and my opinion on this too goes according to district. Next fall I'm sending my son to private school because the district we live in has been in academic failure/emergency for almost 2 years. The government is about to take over. The schools are failing and in turn the kids are failing, and that's not the start I want to give my son. However, a school district just a mile down the road has an academic excellence rating, has for several years. If I could get a district transfer (I can't) or we lived in that public school district I would have no problems placing him there. I would recommend (cont)
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 1:01 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• calling your local head start and setting up an interview. Go and observe the program, see what it has to offer, and how the teachers interact with the children. Then call a local private preschool and do the same. Compare the two and see what best works for your family. My son attend preschool at a local church. I found the class sizes to be smaller, something I felt he needed. It also offered the parent co-op method, which I enjoy very much. There's nothing wrong with public or private schools, it all comes down to the district you live in, and what works best for your family. Start making some phone calls, ask hundreds of questions, and go with your gut. GL
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 1:04 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• My SO was a pulic school kid, and I was a private school kid. And we have decided that since we have the means to send our DD to an amazing private school, that is what we will be doing. With all the funding cuts to education, i dont want to put my childs academic furniture in e hands of the public school, i cant trust the level of education she will be given.
    But thats just us, and our area schools...
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 2:24 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• My odd went to headstart and she loved.My middle dd will be starting headstart in September. As to public vs. private. I went to public and truthfully was further along in my studies than my friends who went to private. Maybe my disrtict just excelled but its the truth. My sister transferred out out of public and ended up skipping a grade level in highschool because she already was through their grade level curriculum. I think education is based on more of what you take out of it rather than where you attend or how much you spend for the child to go there.
    katcb1019

Answer by katcb1019 at 9:45 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• THis is going to be very dependent on where you live. Some areas have wonderful public school systems that rival any private schools. Some have weak public and/or private schools. Look at both and decide what works best for you child and/or your budget.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 12:01 PM on Mar. 10, 2011