Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How would I change my daughter's last name?

She is 3 year old. Her father is not on the birth certificate, does not have any legal rights, nor has he ever gave me any kind of money or support. I gave him a chance to be apart of her life and he did an awful job. I was dumb enough to give her his last name and want to know how I would go about doing this. He is extremely dangerous, facing charges for manufacturing and possession of meth and child endangerment (someone else's child). I've realized that many methods involve taking the father to court. Since I've realized that the legal system can be extremely faulty. I would rather her carry his name rather than to risk going to court and him receiving any kinds of contact. I do not want child support or any other assistance. I fear that her having his last name puts her at a higher danger. Also, if someone has information on how I would obtain full legal custody without contacting him, please comment on that as well. I would like all of you to know that I am not vengeful, I want what is best for my child. I do not believe that he would personally hurt her, but I do know that he would allow drug dealers and other dangerous people near her considering those are the types of people he associates with. Also, the child endangerment charges against him where for running the meth lab at the residence that he lived at with a 4 year old and a 1 year old child. I will not risk, even in the tiniest risk, endanger her by allowing a court to decide he may have contact with her. I would run with her before I would let that happen.

Answer Question

Asked by TiffanieK at 1:04 AM on Mar. 9, 2011 in General Parenting

Level 17 (3,325 Credits)
Answers (4)
  • This is a question that differs from state to state. I live in Ohio and all I have to do to change my sons name is pay 200 dollars and fill out a form. That's it. If I wanted my son to be adopted by my fiancee that's a different story, but just to change his name it's a fee and my signature on a piece of paper. However, this may not be the case in your state. Call your local family court, explain the situation, and they would know the answer. My guess is since you have custody and he's not on the birth certificate it's just a matter of paperwork, but only the family court would know. GL

    Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 1:09 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

  • I was told by a lawyer that if there has not been any agreement in court each parent has 50/50 what that means is that you could take your daughter at any time move or leave the state and not have to ask for his consent, and since his name is not in the birth certificate that is even more advantage to you because he would have to take you to court and PROVE he is the father and that could take him a long time and money and since he is a deadbeat I dont think is likely he would do that It could be easier for you just to and change your name so he can never find you or keep all your phone numbers unlisted and instead of use a cell from a mayor company , verizon at&t etc get a prepaid one like boost you dont have to use your real name to activate them.

    Answer by gou18 at 1:15 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

  • again changes from state to state. to gain full custody without his consent and no court is almost unheard of though. even if you file abandoment you have to make an "attempt" to let him know you are doing so. you are going to NEED a lawyer because you want things to be foolproof and not leave a loophole for bad daddy to leak back in. but since his name is not on the birth cert and he is not part of her life you may be able to just go file for full custody where you are, but again get a lawyer so that you KNOW you are taking the correct steps and not risking putting her in danger.

    Answer by mrs.trial at 2:17 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

  • I'm not sure, but I don't think either of those things can be done with out the father being involved in it.

    Answer by Krysta622 at 12:59 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.