Dog biting back legs

Does anyone know how to stop a dog from biting at the back legs. She is on meds so I am sure she doesn't have fleas or anything like that. She is just itchy sometimes and bites herself to the point where she is getting bald in the back. Any suggestions on how to get her to stop would be greatly appreciated.

ss1436

Asked by ss1436 at 1:17 AM on Mar. 9, 2011 in Pets

• Try benzocane creams like vagisil or a little hydracortizone cream. But not to much, that can weaken the skin. Also, if you go to Pet Smart they have a ton of anti itch remedies. I also use Granniks Bitter Apple, for excessive chewing. It's organic and leaves a nasty taste in their mouth so they won't chew on it. If they chew too much it can lead to infection.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 1:32 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• You need to take her to a vet. She could be suffering from a nervous issue, or a skin disorder that needs meds.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 1:18 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• I have taken her to the vet in the past and they scraped some skin and did tests and found nothing. they think it is allergies, so I was told to give her benadryl, it works sometimes,but sometimes not. That's why i was wondering if anyone has any home remedies that I could try.
    ss1436

Comment by ss1436 (original poster) at 1:27 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• cool I will go to Petsmart tomorrow and look for the Granniks bitter apple. Thanks for your help:)
    ss1436

Comment by ss1436 (original poster) at 1:36 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• With some dogs, it's a nervous condition. My dog licks and bites when it's raining or storming outside. Makes me crazy. I usually put him in the garage till it's over.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 5:44 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• She has to be extremely itchy to cause herself to lose her fur. Allergies are probably the culprit so you may need to do more then just give her benadryl. She may need a round of prednisone. But something else to consider is that she could be allergic to her food. This could also have become a habit or she is doing this because she is nervous or bored. Dogs will do this because of an obsessive compulsive disorder.

KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 6:55 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• It sounds like allergies...either environmental or food.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 9:59 AM on Mar. 9, 2011