When you go to your ob appts do you get an ultrasound each time or what do they do?

this is going to be my third appt coming up soon and i was wondering what they are going to do? or what they usually do on the third one . they did an ultrasound on my second one. i am 12 1/2 weeks pregnant.   also how long until yu find out what the baby is?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:18 AM on Mar. 9, 2011 in Pregnancy

• measure your belly, take your weight, and hear the heartbeat
    Rachelxbby

Answer by Rachelxbby at 1:20 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• They don't do ultrasounds every time. Some doctors have an ultrasound machine in their office, but in my experience they always scheduled the ultrasound at an outside office.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 1:21 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• They don't usually do the second ultrasound until about 20 weeks unless you're high risk.
    ss1436

Answer by ss1436 at 1:25 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• i didnt get my second u/s til 30weeks
    Rachelxbby

Answer by Rachelxbby at 1:27 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• MOST doctors, unless you are high risk or have very irregular cycles and they need to determine gestational age, don't even schedule the first appointment until 10-12weeks. during the first and second trimester visits are typically once every 4 weeks. You will get weighed, have blood pressure taken, pee in a cup, talk to the dr for a couple minutes, they will use a doppler to listen to the heartbeat. They may draw some blood for lab tests if they have not already. During the third trimester appointments will be every 2 weeks and they will measure your belly. Then starting at 36 weeks you will go every week.
    Even being high risk, I have never had them do an ultrasound every single visit. You can ask for one right now - ask for the NT (Nuchal Translucency) scan. It is done at 13w or earlier. Other than that, you probably won't get another ultrasound until 18-20 weeks, at which time they can determine gender.
    FluffyMamaBunny

Answer by FluffyMamaBunny at 1:35 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Some do but the jury is still out on the risks with ultrasounds. I prefer to avoid them and only do medically needed ones.
    It will depend on your insurance and the doctor you choose.
    For gender, that will be between 12 and 24 weeks. Usually at the 20 week anatomy scan.
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 1:36 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• My daugher's obgyn is doing an ultrasound every visit.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:56 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• I never do any ultrasounds in my pregnancy and prefer to avoid the Doppler as well.
    If you want something you might ask, but be aware of alternatives, options, and risks.

Good luck!

doulala

Answer by doulala at 10:46 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• I only had one or maybe two ultrasounds my entire pregnancy.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 10:50 AM on Mar. 9, 2011