Cults......

Have you or anyone you know ever been a part of what you now know was a cult? How did you get involved and how did you get out?

Lucky209

Asked by Lucky209 at 1:18 AM on Mar. 9, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• Most people immediately picture something like Jim Jones or Heaven's Gate when the word "cult" is mentioned. However, most organized religions can technically be classified as a "cult".

Definition: CULT: 1 formal religious veneration : worship 2 : a system of religious beliefs and ritual; also : its body of adherents

Based on that, I was raised Christian, so yes, I was involved in a cult. 

SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 12:07 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Depends on your defination of a cult as most organized religions can be classified as one.

And to some people, I was raised in a cult. I left when I stopped believing it to be true(I was in my 30's)and that was that. Took a couple years to get over the fear and guilt I felt cuz I didnt realize how ingrained it was but its better now and I went on with my life and found spiritual happiness(and other happiness too of course).
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 1:59 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• no I have never known anyone or ever been in a cult myself. From what I understand, it is usually extremely hard to leave once you're a member of a cult.
    ss1436

Answer by ss1436 at 1:29 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• No. I have no personal experience with cults.
    asmcbride

Answer by asmcbride at 10:49 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Having been raised in a fundamentalist christian home, yes I was involved in a cult.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:25 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• 12 years of Catholic School...so, yes, me as well.
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 1:34 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Down voted for telling truth ... Sorry if the truth hurts.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 8:44 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Although I don't agree that Christianity and Catholicism are cults I do think it's hilarious that so many people would be voted down for sharing their opinion. I wanted peoples opinions and I got them....no need to down vote because you don't agree lol
    Lucky209

Comment by Lucky209 (original poster) at 8:47 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• True, Lucky209. What's up with that? lol Anyway, I have never been involved in a cult, but I know some people who attend churches that have "cultish" ways if you know what I mean. A friend of mine attends a church that refers to one particular man there as "The Prophet".
    Many years ago, my brother and his wife were involved with Amway which was a bit cultish as well. But as far as an extreme cult where it's nearly impossible to leave, no.
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 12:47 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I was raised Christian... So yes.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:11 AM on Mar. 9, 2011