Soap Nuts used for laundry detergent

If you use them, what brand do you recommend?
I have an HE washer. I'm also looking at cost. 

(No need to reply if you don't use them)

MommyBird388

Asked by MommyBird388 at 1:28 AM on Mar. 9, 2011 in Home & Garden

• Wow I really didn't know that there was more than one brand lol. I've only ever seen the kind that I have. I'm pretty sure my bag just said "Soap Nuts" in red with some swirly stuff around it. I don't use them regularly now because I forget that I can order online and I usually get them from a natural food store, but it's 2.5 hours away in the nearest "city," so we don't go there very often anymore.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 1:33 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• I did some searching, found the store I bought them at and eventually found the brand after doing several more lol. I really didn't know there were more brands until you asked this. Anway, these are the ones I have.

Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 1:38 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Thanks for researching to tell me which ones you buy. If you don't mind I'll ask you a few more questions. How many soap nuts do you get in a bag? How many soap nuts do you use per load? How exactly do you use soap nuts in your washer. I'm currently changing my lifestyle to a more natural one, so I'm trying to research everything, it can be so overwhelming.
    MommyBird388

Comment by MommyBird388 (original poster) at 1:54 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• I have no idea about the number that comes in my bag, so I can't answer that one. I use 1-4 soap nuts per load. I use 1 for tiny loads that aren't super dirty, like my bras and DDs clothes that didn't get really dirty. I use 3-4 in large loads, particularly DH's clothes. The bag that I got came with a tiny canvas drawstring bag that you put the soap nuts in and just drop them in with your laundry. The bags I get come with instructions for use and it's really simple. If you have any more questions about any of this stuff (natural living and the like), feel free to PM me about it. If I can't answer it, I'm sure I can direct you to people/websites/books that can answer them.

Although I don't know about the specific number, I can say that one bag usually lasts me several months because you can also reuse the soap nuts. I think they're good for up to 3 or 5 washes! I only reuse the ones that don't go in really dirty loads...
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 7:52 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• When you wash with cold water, they last longer than hot water. I think with hot water you can only use them 2-3 times. I love them because I have really sensitive skin and I'm big on doing things that are better for the environment. Plus, I used cloth diapers and I got soap nuts for those washes.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 7:53 PM on Mar. 9, 2011