My 4 years old niece is very stubborn

she never listens to any one, is really stubborn, always does whatever she wants to & she hardly allows my one year old son to play ,I mean she just tries to irritate him like by slapping, pinching or holding him very tightly. I have tried every thing but she hardly has mended her ways, moreover other ppl in the family feel she tries to play with the kid but he doesn't likes her touching him. How should I deal with the situation

A11

Asked by A11 at 1:28 AM on Mar. 9, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I forgot to add she talks back, yells and screams & cries when I physically try to restrict her conduct(I don't slap her or anything like that but just try to separate her from my son )
    A11

Comment by A11 (original poster) at 1:32 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• I would tell her parents to stop her behavior.  She's basically bullying your son and it seems to me like the other 'people in the family' are saying she's trying to play to avoid actually dealing with the behavior. 

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 1:33 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Her parents very well know everything...can u tell me how to deal myself b'coz they will hardly cooperate( without corporal punishment)
    A11

Comment by A11 (original poster) at 1:35 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Separate yourself from them and when they ask be honest. You can not make your son uncomfortable to please everyone because he will go through life thinking that is the proper way to be treated. My son use to be a little ruff with younger kids but I will always stop hom and remind him how small the other child was. If an older child or bigger child intimidate my son I kindly explain to the child that they have to be gentle or Zach will not want to play with them.
    dubewife

Answer by dubewife at 1:47 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• That's such a hard position to be in, I'm sorry babe.  I would honestly just stay away from them then. 

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 1:59 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Stand over your son every second he's around her. If she touches him, pull him away from her. If she takes a toy, take it away from her and give it back to him. After a little bit of you doing this.. she will stop doing it as long as you are around. If she goes to hit him, pull him away or grab her hand. Don't bother saying anything to her or doing anything the parents might think of as "offensive' just don't leave your son within her reach AT ALL alone. That's what I had to do with my son at that age and his mean cousins. They would just watch me whenever I stood near him and walk away. I couldn't care less if they talk badly about me being too overprotective. He doesn't get picked on or hurt by anyone if I'm standing close to him.
    Kayere

Answer by Kayere at 2:10 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• but I can't be around him all the time, working8-5
    A11

Comment by A11 (original poster) at 2:16 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• then why would you leave him with people who don't even take care of their own kid properly?
    Kayere

Answer by Kayere at 2:26 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• He stays with his grand mom who also takes care of the girl after her school as her mom is also working
    A11

Comment by A11 (original poster) at 3:28 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Have you talked to her about it?  She needs to respect your wishes.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 3:31 AM on Mar. 9, 2011