Teething Question

My son is 3.5 mo and has been chewing on his hands like crazy and just slobbery. He doesn't suck his thumb anymore he chews on it until it's just raw once he is tired of his hand he starts in on his toes over the last week he has refused his bitey and won't take his bottle without a fuss we've tried teething rings and it works for a bit but then he tosses them and goes back to his hands or feet. And he is typically a good eater and always happy and rarely if ever cried but that has all changed in the matter of a week is this the first signs of teething?

Daxsmommy08

Asked by Daxsmommy08 at 4:02 PM on Nov. 22, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son did that... and he did start teething at that age. Its rough with the first two bottom teeth but the top two get much better. I promise. :)
    NewArrival

Answer by NewArrival at 4:31 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• Yes. I recommend chilled biters (in fridge, not freezer - don't want to cause frostbite on precious gums). Most stores have them and they are filled with liquid to help retain the cold. Gum numbing gel for teething is beautiful thing (pre-measured swabs for super convenience). Also, I'd break out the acetominophen to take the edge off the pain he is no doubt feeling. Just be sure to dose him correctly (see link below) and use as infrequently as possible. Be prepared for fever and upset stomach to accompany this lovely experience. Sometimes can be tricky to decide if its just his teeth or if he's truly ill. If above does not keep him from damaging his fingers and toes, I would talk to your doctor about what you could safely apply to fingers and toes that would taste bad and help him to stop. http://www.lpch.org/healthLibrary/ParentCareTopics/DrugDosageTables/Acetaminophenforfeverandpain.html
    pullinkytink

Answer by pullinkytink at 5:24 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• Sounds like teething to me. Try some teething tablets... They are amazing. Also give tylenol if he seems like he is in pain. Just a heads up, some other things that may happen are trouble sleeping, longer naps, diarrhea, and just not acting like himself. My daughter started teething at 2 1/5 months, and shes 6 1/2 months now, still no teeth. Its a long process generally speaking. Good luck! Hope he feels better. Usually the symptoms only last for a day or so at a time.
    LovinMyMikayla

Answer by LovinMyMikayla at 7:31 PM on Nov. 22, 2008