Can't give out medical advice, are you serious!?

I called the emergency department to ask if while pregnant I could take oral liquid albuterol because I cannot breathe and I do not have an inhaler(I get it tomorrow) and she told me that they cannot give medical advice on the phone and to call 911. Really!? I have 2 little girls asleep right now, I am not calling 911! Sorry I guess this really isn't a question, just a vent.

amber1330

Asked by amber1330 at 1:58 AM on Mar. 9, 2011 in Health

• See if you can get a hold of a 24 hour pharmacy. They might be able to tell you if it is safe during pregnancy.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 2:01 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• I agree call a 24 hour pharmacy or your OB, they will both be able to answer your question. Any time I've called the ER, they say the exact same thing, can not give out medical advice over the phone but if I feel like it is an emergency situation then I should call 911 or come in to the ER.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 2:16 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• your ob should have someone on call. call the regular number and they will usually have a pager for the doc on call. the er can't even tell you if they think you should or should not come in because if they tell you no and something happens then they are to blame and if they tell you yes and you don't need it you are mad. it's this way because of so many lawsuits.
    mrs.trial

Answer by mrs.trial at 2:10 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• If they gave out advice on the phone, how much time do you think would be spent on the phone working for free?
    Liability carriers do not permit it.
    Licensure doesn't cover it.
    That's why you have Dr's to make appointments with.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 7:58 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• they can't legally give out information like that because it is a liability. You can call your OB on call and they will be able to answer your question.
    ElenaC419

Answer by ElenaC419 at 1:59 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• I agree with the PP. The ER cannot give out medical advise without seeing you. I would contact your OB or family doctor (whoever you see regularly). They will be able to help you.

Pharmacist can tell you if it's okay to take during pregnancy, but to be honest they are going to tell you to contact your OB too. They can only give you very general and very vague answers. You'd probably find more online googling it yourself.

But, if you can't breathe then call the paramedics. Rather be safe than sorry, especially if you're home alone and the only ones in the house with you are asleep.
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 4:20 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• I definantly understand what you guys are saying about them not being able to give advice out, but when it is a true emergency, they should hand the phone to the doctor on call. I don't have an ob doctor to call in the middle of the night, well no number that is (military hospital) and I truly was having trouble breathing. I ended up steaming myself in a bathroom and it at least helped a little. I am going to get my inhaler today so this doesn't happen again. Thanks everyone for your advice :)
    amber1330

Comment by amber1330 (original poster) at 9:47 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• That's crazy!  Google it and see if maybe Web MD can give you any advice.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 2:00 AM on Mar. 9, 2011