How can I get my family to enjoy eating vegetables?

I have three picky eaters at home. They do enjoy fruits, but only like a couple veggies, like corn and portabello mushrooms, but not much else. Does anyone have tips to getting kids to eat a variety of vegetables?

A member of Juicy Bunch USA

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:20 AM on Mar. 9, 2011 in Food & Drink

• well if they will not eat a veggie by itself, put it in a meal and don't say anything. For example, meatloaf. Put some celery in it, won't notice it at all, doesn't change the taste.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 2:27 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• MAke zucchini bread and brownies. And mushrooms aren't veggies they're a fungus.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 2:33 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• You also can add chopped broccoli or green peppers to spaghetti sauce, top cereal with fruit slices, or mix grated zucchini and carrots into casseroles and soups
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 2:50 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• I don't agree with the celery - Celery is actually a very strong taste and flavor. Most people do not even like celery.

Potatoes are a good thing to mix in to casseroles or loaves, so are parsnips and turnips. You can even add zucchini to mashed potatoes (if they like them) and you really cannot taste a flavor difference.

I made delicious pumpkin bars this passed Thanksgiving. Full of fiber and pumpkin goodness, but I topped it with cream cheese icing and no one knew what was in it =)

Mushrooms tend to do well with meat mixtures. They are very rich, firm and hearty.

You should also try beans. They are another very rich and firm texture. They will work well in chili's or stews.

Bean sprouts and water chestnuts will work well in asian inspired dishes or salads. They will also help give some crunch. I tend to love particularly love them in chicken dishes.
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 4:14 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• if they will not eat a veggie by itself, put it in a meal; make macaroni and cheese and add peas, carrots, or somethng like that; or if they will eat something like tuna noodle casserole it has peas in it my oldest son loves baked potatoes with broccoli and cheese

Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 9:52 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Have you ever heard of the book " Deceptively Delicious"? It tells you great ways to HIDE veggies in everyday food! Its great!
    familynsni

Answer by familynsni at 10:00 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Start with something simple, like peanut sauce. Soups, chili and stews are great ways to add vegetables. Throw kale in a smoothie. Make a tasty stir-fry. Throw veggies on the grill.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:03 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• My family likes veggies, I just like to always throw some in every meal as much as I can.

For example, When making ground beef for tacos, I normally add onions, celery, (baby or reg) bell peppers, carrotseven. I just chop them up small and cook them a little bit before adding the ground beef. They cook into the meat very well and add good flavor without being too strong.
    ChristineJarman

Answer by ChristineJarman at 9:15 AM on Mar. 11, 2011