Photographers: Pro/Amateur...does the lens have to be in Manual settings for a DSLR?

I've always considered it the "photographer's eye" for a point and shoot camera. I bought a Canon Rebel XTi some time back (I was giddy when this one first came out). I have two lenses. Normally, I would do everything in auto,but this time I am starting to get inspired so I'm working more and more by playing with the settings.

I can play with the body settings for a good photo, but I'm too nervous to attempt switching that little button from auto to manual on the lens. Truth be told, I have a visual impairment so only use of one eye and since I can't see 3-D stuff, I just get too nervous to attempt whatever the camera lens might give...not to mention looking through the view finder...I don't see the blurs that end up on the photo later...a friend that is somewhat a photographer told me that my photos aren't really "mine" until I put both body and lens in manual mode...

I guess I'm asking if there's truth to that. If the photo isn't fully my work unless I put the lens in manual mode too.

Imortlmommy

Asked by Imortlmommy at 3:08 AM on Mar. 9, 2011 in Hobbies & Crafts

• Bah, who cares. You're setting up the shot...it's your work. But, since it's a digital, you can experiment as much as you want. I have an XTi, too. I mostly use the, uh, "P" function. Been awhile since I read the manual but that way I can control some of the settings for the lighting in my house (otherwise it comes out looking blue). I really don't play with the full manual settings but when I'm bored I'll mess around and shoot the same subject (usually something sitting across from me) with each differed option on the camera just to see what it does. That's the genius of digital. IT doesn't cost anything to take the pictures and if you don't like them you just delete them.
    Oh, and when I had my baby they had a professional photographer come in to do the pics and he had a digital and just used the auto settings then touched them up with the computer. Still his work...he posed the baby (I bought the rights to them all)
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 3:46 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• It's still your work. I just bought the T2i SLR camera 4 days ago, and i am still taking pictures in the Auto mode. But i am going to start messing around with the Aperture & Depth of field & shutter speed settings after i study my manual awhile, but i don't think i will change anything on the lens. I bought a small home portrait studio set for home, i am getting some really professional looking pictures in front of my backgrounds with camera. I also bought extra the EF 70-300mm IS USM Telephoto Zoom lens for this camera because i like to go to the mountains and take wildlife pictures of Bears & Deer.
    Honda309

Answer by Honda309 at 5:57 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• I have a NIkon D300 and I hardly ever use my lens in Manual and you will find many photographers dont. I dont mainly because my eye sight is bad and it is hard for me to manualy focus unless it is a macro shot.
    missbritt22

Answer by missbritt22 at 1:15 PM on Mar. 9, 2011