Charitable Giving / Community Service etc ?

Quick Question:
How many of you parents out there structure “giving back” into your family’s routine? You don’t have to volunteer every week at the shelter, all I’m wondering is how many of you do make a point to teach your kids to give back? Also – Do you know of resources to assist children to learn about doing this?
Thanks in advance

PBBrownie

Asked by PBBrownie at 4:05 AM on Mar. 9, 2011 in General Parenting

• we volunteer as a family and I think it is important to give back. My kids usually take some of their money to buy food for the local soup kitchen. We have also sent things to soldiers and I am looking at other ways to help now that they are getting older. There are a lot of websites out there although I have heard this one is very good.

http://www.dosomething.org/programs

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 4:14 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Depending on your area you can volnteer many different places. I cook food and have my kids and their friends hand out food to the homeless in Atlanta. They seem to enjoy giving back and I get to monitor them. I was trying to come up with a logo for what we do and provide different services for these individuals. The only thing is you have to be careful in these parts. The sheriffs has approached me and told to contact them when I come to the city for my family protection. The last time we handed out food we had a bad experience. That was just a few individual and everyone should not have to punish for their mistake.
    dubewife

Answer by dubewife at 5:19 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• We help with the Langar at our local sikh temple. The langar is the food after the service. It is open to everyone, cooked by everyone, everyone shares in all the duties and there is no distinction between the people who need the food and the people who donate the food. We all clean, we all cook, we all eat and talk together.
    One of the best forms of charity i've ever found. People get fed, but there is no distinction, we are all human.

I'm not Sikh, but no-one minds. It's done because it is the right thing to do, not to gain favour or thanks, or any sort of benefit. It's done, because not doing it would be wrong.
    Piskie

Answer by Piskie at 6:42 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• I don't structure it, or make my children do it.
    I provide an opportunity, and let them choose. If they don't want to participate I allow them to go do something else.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 7:53 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• If you are a church goer, that can be one of your best resources. Your children can volunteer through your church. They can volunteer their talent in choir, they can volunteer time by ushering or helping teach younger children (My children are all over 13 yrs old). When they get to youth group age, there are opportunities to go out into the "world" and volunteer. Our youth service at our local soup kitchen, volunteer a week of their summer to help rehab houses in the poorest areas of the US through ASP (Appalachian Service Project), etc.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 8:42 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• We are active in girl scouts - in fact I volunteer enough hours a week with the program to almost be full time. Our troop does at least one service project each month and all of the girls participate in that. My own kids do other projects on their own, helping out with the local pet shelter is a favorite for my younger daughter and our older daughter enjoys working at the soup kitchen.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:53 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• us! On post, and at christmas, and easter!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 10:24 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• My children attend Catholic schools. Service hours are a requirement from K-12 students...and parents. I love it.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:11 PM on Mar. 9, 2011