Bible Verse

Are there any bible verses where Jesus talks about hell? Could you tell me what they are? Thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:51 AM on Mar. 9, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• Matthew 13:32, Matthew 25:41, Matthew 12:40, Matthew 9:43-48. These are just a few of the ones I found, a quick search on google said there are more than 70 references to Hell by Jesus, but I did not look them all up to verify.

Answer by missanc at 8:15 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Matthew 13:32 "Though it is the smallest of all seeds, yet when it grows, it is the largest of garden plants and becomes a tree, so that the birds come and perch in its branches.”
    Matthew 9:42-48 Jesus went through all the towns and villages, teaching in their synagogues, proclaiming the good news of the kingdom and healing every disease and sickness. 36 When he saw the crowds, he had compassion on them, because they were harassed and helpless, like sheep without a shepherd. 37 Then he said to his disciples, “The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few. 38 Ask the Lord of the harvest, therefore, to send out workers into his harvest field.”
    How are those about hell? lol, am I missing something? Matt 25:41 did mention hell though.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:24 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• According to my Bible, Jesus only mentions hell 7 times, but a few are repeats of the same discussion in a different book; I'm not sure how Jesus mentioning hell 7 times got turned into his talking about it 70 times. lol
    Matthew 5/Matthew 18/Mark 9
    Matthew 10
    Matthew 18
    Matthew 23
    Luke 25

MrsItalia

Answer by MrsItalia at 8:42 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Oh, and Jesus mentions "eternal fire" in Matthew 18 (in the same discussion as mentioned above) and Matthew 25, so Jesus talks about hell and eternal fire, within 8 discussions.

MrsItalia

Answer by MrsItalia at 8:47 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Sorry - I have my baby in my arms so my verses may be off between holding her and the small verse numbers in my Bible - will repost later during nap

Answer by missanc at 8:55 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• It's my understanding that the word 'Hell' does not actually appear in the Bible, but there are several words that have been translated as Hell in some versions of the Bible. Newer versions of the Bible seem to have fewer of these words translated as 'Hell'.

“Sheol,” which means “the grave”, "pit", or "death"
    “Hades,” which means “the grave” or "among the dead"
    “Gehenna,” which means “a place of burning”, but it's also a geographic location.
    “Tartarus,” which means “a place of darkness”
    "Infernus" means "being underneath"
    "Abaddon", meaning "destruction",
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 9:07 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• I agree with Pam. The word hell, the concept of an eternal place of damnation, is nowhere to be found in the Bible. The words she lists are what "hell" is translated from. I also believe that talk of fire and brimstone is meant to refer to purification, since brimstone is referring to sulfur, which was used for healing and purification. I believe all of the talk is metaphorical for the purification and growth we go through, things like that, but definitely not literally referring to an actual place of punishment...
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:28 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• These are from the NIV

Matthew 5:22 - But anyone who say 'you fool' will be in danger of the fires of hell
    Matthew 5:29 and 30 (verse is repeated in both) - It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to be thrown into the fire of hell
    Matthew 10:28 - Rather be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell
    Matthew 18:9 - It is better for you to enter life with one eye than to have two eyes and be thrown into the fire of hell

There are other references that do not use the word that has been translated into hell:
    Matthew 25:41 - Then he will say to those on his left, Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels.
    Matthew 25:46 - Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life

So whether or not, the actual word "hell" has been translated or not - "eternal punishment" sounds bad enough to me!

Answer by missanc at 10:43 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• I just looked in my Strong's concordance and found 54 references on hell. I can't list all those here, but if you'd like, you can send me a message and I will let you know what they are.
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 12:26 AM on Mar. 10, 2011