HELP!! my sixteen month old has caught head lice from day care. Is it safe to use otc treatmeants?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:31 PM on Nov. 22, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You need to pick all the eggs out by hand and find the lice bug if possible. I don't know if you can use the treatment but definintly start picking those things out.
    Anonymous

• I do not know what otc is but I would use a natural way. A couple drops of tea tree oil in olive oil works really well. It has to stay for a couple of hour but she will smell good and have soft hair. Put a hat over head during the time. oh use a whole bottle of olive oil, tea tree oil is very strong and goes a long way.
    Treat yourself as well even if you think you dont just to be safe.
    perksmom

Answer by perksmom at 4:44 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• Step 1. Call the pediatrician and explain the situation. Ask if they can call in a prescription for medication for the head lice. If not ask them what over the counter kind you can use. I have used over the counter before when my dd caught headlice from a little girl on the bus.

Step 2. Apply the shampoo as directed. While you are waiting on it get the bedding and wash it all in HOT water. take all the stuffed animals as well and wash them or place them in plastic bags and put them out in the sun for two days to kill the lice.

Step 3. Remove lice meds from hair and use the lice comb and thoroughly go through the hair more then once to get all the nits (eggs) and dead lice.

Step 4. You may need to treat the head more then once.

Answer by gemgem at 4:51 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• Here is a good link to read (see below). It is to my local health care group (Columbus Ohio hospitals, Grant and Riverside). Please note under the section titled "Lifestyle and Home Remedies," where it indicates that the OTC are generally not recommended for under 2 yo. Good article overall - worth the read. I would pop in and talk to the pharmacist - they may be able to help you by possibly adjusting the dosage calculations so that you can safely use an OTC. Can't hurt to ask.
    http://www.ohiohealth.com/bodymayo.cfm?id=6&action=detail&ref=3897
    pullinkytink

Answer by pullinkytink at 4:54 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• I used it on my 10 yr old when he was about a year old. Cant remember the exact age. I also got him a super short haircut. (Bald fade). Lice can't live in hair shorter than 1/4 or 1/2 inch is what I am told. I'm not sure the exact length. There are a lot of natural rememdies that are probably safer than Nix or Rid. Good luck. Little buggers are stubborn!
    Anonymous

• I bought an electric lice comb. They are perfectly safe. Everyday when my kids came through the door from school I snagged them up and ran it through they're hair. We never had a lice problem again.
    Anonymous