Do you feel your child(ren) have a good understanding of special needs children?

We were all taught to have an understanding of people of different religions, different ethic backrounds and/or skin color. We also understand that a child is different if they are in a wheel chair, missing a limb, wears hearing aids, is blind, deaf or uses crutches.

What about the child that is OCD, ADHD, ASD? These children will behave and/or interact differently but why are they the ones that are picked on the most? Left out the most? Not included as much?

The number of special needs children continues to increase. How well are we preparing our children to be able to do business with this community? Live in a dorm room with them? Live next door to?

Please don't bash me. I'm just looking to see how other parents view this. Is this something that parents talk about?

Onmyown2727

Asked by Onmyown2727 at 6:19 AM on Mar. 9, 2011 in General Parenting

• my 8 yr old has had a girl in his class that has down syndrome, he has always been great with her, he plays with her at times, the teachers for the last 4 yrs have told me how wonderful he is with this girl. He know that she is different then he is, but he has patience with her, and the times he has complained about something she has done i do sit and explain things to him and he understands that.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 6:24 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• As a parent of a child with autism, I can tell you that even though most parent will say their children have an understanding of special needs children, the reality is that most do not. There are a few kids that do very well with my son and I have thanked those parents for doing a wonderful job raising their children. There have been many more kids who make rude comments or are just down right mean to my son. The school is good about talking to those children and the parents and as my son is verbal and can tell me some of the things, I have even talked to the parents. Typically the parents deny their children were mean because they would never behave that way and they know that they should be nice to kids who have differences..blah, blah blah.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:43 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Outside of the issue of kids being mean and unnecessarily exclusive, any behavioral differences from most kids will be isolating at least some of the time; that is the nature of behavioral differences.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 6:56 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• I'm going to be honest, I hadn't even thought of that. My daughters not in school yet but sounds like a good thing to teach her about when she's old enough to comprehend it. Guess I'll have to read up on how to educate her properly.
    Cosetterose

Answer by Cosetterose at 7:27 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• As the parent of a special needs 13 yo, my kids have a pretty good understanding but they live it everyday.

Answer by missanc at 8:08 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• My oldest is 6. No, she does not get people with special needs. However, when an opportunity arises, I take it. I want my kids to know that everyone is different and it is okay. I want them to know to that just because someone doesn't have the ability to walk or talk or maybe someone can't sit still because of ADHD, that does not mean that person is a bad person. It just means we need to be more patient with that person. We have to give everyone an opportunity, no matter what we may think is wrong with them.

krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 8:47 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• I am working on it with my 4 year old but it is more difficult than I ever expected. She had a little boy in her preschool class who was being evaluated for autism (they moved away) and my daughter would sometimes come home and complain about how Steve was acting up during story time or had a tantrum and how it bothered her. I tried to explain that Steve learned and played different than her and there was nothing wrong with and to try to be his friend, but she didn't really get it. I also have a friend with a son who was diagnosed with autism (high functioning), when we go to their house she doesn't want to play with him because he is mean (which he kind of is). It is really hard because I want her to understand about special needs but I don't want to force her to play with someone who is mean to her. I will continue to work on it and hopefully whhen she is older she will understand.

lilysmom2607

Answer by lilysmom2607 at 9:16 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• yes my oldest understands fully he has a classmate that is special needs and he is always very willing to help out when and where he can; it doesn't bother any of us if someone lived next to us we would treat them the same way as any other neighbor; we treat every one as an equal; they don't bother me or my children and sometimes the ones that are "special needs, etc" treat people better then the "normal" people--IMO

Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 9:35 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Yes. I have a son with Autism, high functioning, but we all learned from him about special needs. He is 17 now and you would never know he even had Autism he has come so far but still misses social cues and things like that some times. My dd who is the youngest and least exposed since she sees nothing wrong with her brother has a down syndrome little boy in her class and he is her "friend" which I think is really sweet. None of the kids see anything wrong with him he just does "special things".

Answer by gemgem at 9:39 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Yes, my adopted brother (who is only 5 years older than my oldest child) is special needs. We also have friends who have a child with aspergers and so our kids have been around special needs kids all their lives.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:45 AM on Mar. 9, 2011