RH-

Are you RH-? Do you have to have the rogam shot?

reflect1light

Asked by reflect1light at 4:44 PM on Nov. 22, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I'm rh-, I got the rhogham shot, however I know that this isn't necessary for all women, but I would get it just to be safe. Perhaps you should talk to a midwife about helping you get the shot, I'm sure she'll help you, and even provide prenatal care for you, and still allow you to have an unassisted birth, if that's what you're going for. Just make sure that the rhogham you get was manufactured after 2001, because before that they used thimerosal as a preservative in it, and that can cause a lot of neurological problems for babies. That's great that you're going doctor-less, however you might want to see a midwife just to be sure. You can still give birth unassisted, and if you get a good one, she won't push any medical procedures on you that aren't needed.
    lillys_mommy09

Answer by lillys_mommy09 at 7:53 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• Yes and Yes.
    robinalbright

Answer by robinalbright at 4:45 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• Why? Sorry, I should've added that to my original question. I am working on my research, but am interesting in other opinions as well.
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 4:51 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• Yes and yes, again. I'm assuing you are too? It's really not that big of a deal these days. The danger is if your blood and the baby's blood come into contact. If they do you will begin to produce antibodies against the baby's blood. It is very rare that they ever do come into contact with each other, usually it would be at birth. But a simple little shot (I think usually around 28w, but my youngest is 2 so I can't remember for sure) takes care of it.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 4:53 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• Just to add to my previous answer, if the father is rh- too, then the baby will have rh- blood and there is no need for the rhogam because rh- blood will only attack rh+ blood. My hubby was rh+ so I had to have the shot because our kids could have had either + or - blood types.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 4:57 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• Ok... I have read more and still will find more. I am RH- my husband is RH+. I want to have a UC, but need to know how to get the rhogam shot if the baby is RH+, as my last was.
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 5:04 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• yes and yes - your doctors will take care of everything - just make sure they know
    AndreaRUJuiced

Answer by AndreaRUJuiced at 5:09 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• I am not going to a doctor. That is the issue. I want to avoid doctors.
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 5:40 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• If you are Rh- and your baby is Rh+ and this is your FIRST pregnancy, nothing will happen. However, at birth some of the baby's blood might come in contact with your blood and your immune system will see it as a threat and make anitbodies. Your SECOND and later pregancies will be in danger, because your body will see the baby as a bad thing and try to kill it. So, you need the shot.
    Anonymous

• Why are you not going to the doctor???
    robinalbright

Answer by robinalbright at 7:04 PM on Nov. 22, 2008