My children and there bad behavior.. Please Help!!!!

My children are 2 & 4 and will not behave! I dont even like to take them places together. They are constantly fighting and argueing. They tell me "no" and dont care about consequences. I have tried swats, time out, and isolation. Also tried taking away toys, but nothing works... any suggestions?

Brylee.Walker

Asked by Brylee.Walker at 7:22 AM on Mar. 9, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• with my kids we did a positive reinforcement thing. We got jars for each child and different colored marbles. When my children behaved and did their chores they would get a marble. If they misbehaved or didn't do their chores we would take a marble away.  After "X" amount of marbles they would get a special treat like going for ice cream, mommy and me time, or having their favorite dinner.  I found that you have to be consistent in whatever you do and don't give in.  For example if they are in time out for 2 minutes make sure you have a timer.  If they get out before the timer goes off then put them back and reset the timer.

I have also found the yelling never really worked for my kids so I would talk very quietly and sternly, then they would know I meant business.

Good Luck!

cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 7:27 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Have you tried rewarding good behaviour?
    Nonoluna

Answer by Nonoluna at 7:27 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• They are getting a reaction out of you it sounds like and certainly which is probably enabling the behavior more. Ignore it as much as you can and practice more positive reinforcement to bring out better behaviors.
    MichelleAlpha

Answer by MichelleAlpha at 7:45 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• I haven't tried rewarding them. I think that sounds like a great idea! Thanx Moms
    Brylee.Walker

Comment by Brylee.Walker (original poster) at 7:47 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Along with what others have said make sure they each get one on one time with you and your SO. Sometimes kids go for the negative attention when they do not get enough positive attention. Plus praise them when they do things right. GL!!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:13 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• TY all! I hope things work!
    Brylee.Walker

Comment by Brylee.Walker (original poster) at 10:20 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• sounds just like my boys and they are 4 and 9 we have had to walk out of restaurants and stores because they wouldn't settle down and behave; what we  do is we wait till we get home and then tell them that for their behavior this privilege will be taken away and they will not have access to it for such and such amount of days

Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 9:07 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Thank you all, I am going to try all these ideas!!
    Brylee.Walker

Comment by Brylee.Walker (original poster) at 2:00 PM on Mar. 10, 2011