Which bothers you more?

1. A person who refuses to change themself
2. How society has changed people
3. People who refuse to change with society

jewjewbee

Asked by jewjewbee at 7:47 AM on Mar. 9, 2011 in Religious Debate

• For me, it would be people who refuse to change themselves. They also seem to be the people who complain most about others. The Bible tells us that if we want change in others, in situations, etc...we must being by praying for change within ourselves. When we change, those around us change too.
    nbwindchime

Answer by nbwindchime at 8:35 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Context might be helpful here. I say #1 - a person who refuses to change themselves. That said, what change is being referred to here? Change that society says needs to happen? If that's the case, isn't it the same as #3? And who says society is always right?
    Nonoluna

Answer by Nonoluna at 7:49 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• 1
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 7:50 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• None of the above really bother me, at least not without context. Why would a person need to change him/herself? If by "change" you mean improve--acknowledge weaknesses and work to improve on those weaknesses that hinder work or relationships--then it would bother me if a person refuses to make those sorts of changes. Society, by its very nature, has always changed people, for better or for worse. When charismatic people (like Hitler) affect the what people are willing to do within a society, it bothers me. People who refuse to live within the generally accepted rules of a society don't generally bother me, unless they expect to reap the benefits of that society without participating in it. But. . . these are generalizations, and I can't really make or stick to sweeping statements without particulars.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 8:05 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• I would say #2 - but I would be more apt to put "how society expects people to change to become one of the masses"

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:09 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• 1~Persons who refuse to change themselves.

If people are more willing to change themselves, society changes!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:19 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• I would definently say how society has changed people. It is frustrating to me that sooo many people are what I call "fad driven". Lets all be honest here and admit that things have gradually went down hill since it began. I will say that there are some good things happening but overall people will do whatever this messed up society tells them to do! I hate it! Stand up and have your own mind and own opinions people!
    familynsni

Answer by familynsni at 10:17 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• People who refuse to change and adapt. You have to be willing to take a look and see if what you are doing/believing is still working, if not, make a change.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 10:33 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• # 1 - Because I think most people could change themselves in a positive way.
    Brylee.Walker

Answer by Brylee.Walker at 7:59 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• #1 because we only have control over ourselves. No one can make us change, not even society.

Answer by gemgem at 8:02 AM on Mar. 9, 2011