Compromise coming in WI?

MADISON — Gov. Scott Walker has offered to keep certain collective bargaining powers in place for state workers in a proposed compromise aimed at ending a nearly three-week standoff with absent Senate Democrats, according to e-mails released Tuesday by his office.

The e-mails, some dated as recently as Sunday, show a softened stance in Walker's talks with the 14 Demo-crats who fled to Illinois to block a vote on his original proposal that would strip nearly all collective bargaining powers for public workers and force concessions amounting to an average 8 percent pay cut.
Under the compromise floated by Walker and detailed in the e-mails, workers would be able to continue bargaining over their salaries with no limit, a change from his original plan that banned negotiated salary increases beyond inflation. He also proposed compromises allowing collective bargaining to stay in place on mandatory overtime, performance bonuses, hazardous duty pay and classroom size for teachers.
The increased contributions for health insurance and pension, which would save the state $330 million by mid-2013, would remain. The unions and Democrats have agreed to those concessions to help balance a projected $3.6 billion budget shortfall.
Sen. Bob Jauch, one of the 14 AWOL Democrats, said he hoped the compromise would serve as a blueprint for future negotiations. But he and Democratic Sen. Tim Cullen, who were both working with Walker's administration, said the latest offer was inadequate.

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 8:30 AM on Mar. 9, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 8:30 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Layoffs are probably coming too. lol How can they comprimise, when they are unemployed July 1.?

jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:40 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• i live in wisconsin

i am ready to throw each and every one from both sides into the trash and start anew

fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 8:42 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• I think they should take it.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 9:06 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• He has to weigh the fact that there is little the state can accomplish without the idiot Democrats being there because of their laws. I don't see him doing it because of poll numbers because either way he will be skewered.
    None of what has been said is a done deal so I see it as all still in play. I don't live in WI though it's where my parents were from and we have relatives there. It's a beautiful state and this is all a black mark on them.
    I don't have a problem if he gives a bit though I don't believe it should be on wages or bonuses. I'm not a fan of collective bargaining because it's basically bringing in someone who knows little to nothing about the business or the people in it. can just say do this and make it happen. That's not negotiating.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:09 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Compromise is good-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 9:33 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• While I would like to say the end is in sight prob not anytime soon.

"But he and Democratic Sen. Tim Cullen, who were both working with Walker's administration, said the latest offer was inadequate."

Also I question why some of the Dems are upset that the information was released?

Doesn't it look good for both sides?
    Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 9:42 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• No compromise. They just passed the redrafted bill that allows them to do business without the cowardly dems who refuse to represent their constituents. Don't tell me that each of the 14 have 100% of their constituents as union members. These 14 became union strikers. I hope they are recalled and fired. You can't allow members of your legislative body to hold the entire state's business hostage for special interest.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 8:10 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• So much for having to compromise, the Dems and Unions just got out smarted and out maneuvered!!
    goodwitch399

Answer by goodwitch399 at 10:46 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• They knew that was a posiblity as well, there are articles from a couple of weeks ago saying it was something that could be done. But I am sure we will hear that its not fair.

Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 11:04 PM on Mar. 9, 2011