Freezing black beans

i am trying very hard to improve my familys diet and also save money while i am at it.so i bought a dozen bags of black beans for less than a dollar each.i am wanting to cook up a few bags and freeze them to use as meat substitute.But I need some information about what is the best way to go about it.

Should I use plastic dishes or bags?
Should I drain the beans before freezing
How long are they safe to keep frozen?

Gods_Girl1979

Asked by Gods_Girl1979 at 8:39 AM on Mar. 9, 2011 in Food & Drink

• You don't have to drain the beans. I use the freezer plastic zip lock bags, they work great. Don't freeze too much in one bag, because then when you defrost you might have too much left over. Make sure you freeze just enough for your family in each bag, this will help to not waste any.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:53 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Well being dry beans I would maybe only cook up a weeks worth and then keep in the fridge in a glass jar with some water. If you freeze them I would honestly freeze them as the substitute....for example you make a large amount of black bean burgers and keep some in the fridge and freeze the rest for other weeks. In that case I would use bags and try to seperate the burgers with parcement paper so you can just grab the amount you need. But the beans alone I wouldn't freeze.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 8:55 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• I always freeze black beans. I cook them in the crockpot and when they are done, I cool them and put in baggies. I generally use a one cup measuring cup, scoop out a cup and tip the cup against the side of the crockpot to drain out most of the leftover liquid. Then it has some liquid, but not too much.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 9:15 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• I drain, I use freezer bags (easier to throw in a bowl of water to thaw), and I've used them within a couple of months - so I honestly don't know how long they'd keep. I only cook up 1 bag at a time, my crock pot won't hold much more and 1 bag makes a big pot full!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:56 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• I cook my beans once a month and freeze them in various sized bags.
    texasgurl33

Answer by texasgurl33 at 12:04 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• I freeze them in tempered glass containers; I avoid putting foods in plastic, especially foods with any fat. If the food is in the plastic, the plastic is in your family.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:04 PM on Mar. 9, 2011