what does a christian marriage look like?

my husband once used the scripture about the wife body being for the husband and the husband body for the wife. He used it to support having sex when he wanted it even if I didnt. It was made to seem I had no controll over my body.

ylonda

Asked by ylonda at 4:51 PM on Nov. 22, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• Sounds abusive to me.

Anonymous

• Actually Christ describes the church as his wife and says that a man should hold his wife up the way Christ holds up the church.

Answer by gemgem at 4:56 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• 1 Corinthians 7:4, 5. It's really just a call for husband and wife to come together sexually often to keep Satan from playing on our natural desires. I'm sorry if your husband uses this to manipulate you.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 5:02 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• 1 Cor 7:4,5: The wife hath not power of her own body, but the husband: and likewise also the husband hath not power of his own body, but the wife.Defraud ye not one the other( don't withhold yourselves from each other), except it be with consent for a time, that ye may give yourselves to fasting and prayer; and come together again, that Satan tempt you not for your incontinency.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 5:05 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• The bible says that the wife is the weaker vessel. NOT lesser vessel. I once heard a speech comparing the woman to a crystal vase. It's weaker than a plastic vase... SO you treated it as precious, you care for it well. You wouldn't abuse or be rough with it...

The same should be of a husband treatment to his wife... She is a weaker vessel NOT lesser. If anything she is more precious than he and should be treated with respect and care.

This would include sex. It's not respectful to force sex nor is it careful... It is harmful and damaging. Your husband needs to take some time to read up on what he is preaching...

I am not Christian, and can't give you the scriptures off the top of my head.  However, the ideas your husband has go back centuries.  That doesn't make them right!  He sounds like a very controlling man. 

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:35 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• The scriptures about a wife being for the husband and visa verse are usually talking about infidelity and adultery. It doesn't by any means mean that you are to be at his beckon call... It simply means you should be for each other ONLY...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:38 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• Your husband was using the bible to try and control you, just because he's the man doesn't mean that he gets sex whenever he wants.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 6:27 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• it's suppose to be an equal share. scriptures sure don't say that if you don't want to have sex that you had too. so he can throw his scripture quoting out the window.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 7:00 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• The man is to love his wife like Christ loved the church. And I can say with certainty that Christ would NOT be manipulative and controlling but rather loving and uplifting. Yes, my body is my husbands and visa versa but that doesn't mean I have the right to control him or force him to do something. That's not love ~ that's abuse of power. Love puts the other first and respect takes the other's feelings into consideration. Should you be aware of your husband's sexual needs? Yes, but that doesn't mean you are a sex slave. Sex is for mutual intimacy.

If he's going to use scripture to "get his way" than he MUST take all scripture relating to husband and wife. When he does that ~ he'll have to realize he's so much in the wrong.
    lifeofchaois

Answer by lifeofchaois at 8:13 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• The scriptures say your bodies belong to each other, and not to hold out besides for prayer and fasting. So that you are not tempted into doing something wrong. Any man that forces is just mean. You should just want to. But when I do not want to my man understands. Also a Christian marriage puts God first.....not family or the other person. They love God most.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 8:14 PM on Nov. 22, 2008