How do you let them go?

My Nephew is leaving for college at Ohio University which is about 4 hours from home...Toledo, Ohio. We are a very very close family. My sister is just so upset at the thought of him leaving (as we all are). We love him, want him to be happy and educated...but how oh how do we let him go?

salexander

Asked by salexander at 9:08 AM on Mar. 9, 2011 in Adult Children (18+)

• My son left in July. He also went 4 hrs away. What a struggle. Just pray that he'll want to come back home when college is over. Start saving now for that extra gas money so that he can come home at least once a month.
    tammysgray

Answer by tammysgray at 9:10 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• You just have to. It sucks alot believe me I have had to do it now twice. I just take it a day at a time and tell them to expect me to call more often then not atleast at first and that they have to call me back or Ill worry. It does get easier after awhile, but I dont think you ever stop worrying. They are our kids either way and it never ends. It doesnt end when they go to college, get married, have their own kids, never ever. Also making plans to visit every so often does help because you have it to look forward to. 4 hours isnt that far, look on the bright side he could have decided to go to CA LOL.

Answer by gemgem at 9:11 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• My sister has two boys, Alex who is her senior and the one leaving in Sept and Nick who is a sophmore. I think she is feeling that empty nest thing. She has her career, and her husband, but losing ones children is unthinkable...one seems so forlorn without them. I have 5 kids. I told her I would send one of mine to her lol.
    salexander

Comment by salexander (original poster) at 9:13 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Ya difficult but to make his career you need to do it.......
    AnuMeha

Answer by AnuMeha at 9:13 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Just reassure her she isnt losing her kids. They are just going to get educated. Believe me, theyll be back. My dd is almost 22 and has come home twice lol.

Answer by gemgem at 9:21 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Ha,my eldest is 25 he has also come home twice lol. I never mind when they are around. My kids are spread out, so I don't think I will ever have an empty nest. They are 25, 20,17, 5 and 4.
    salexander

Comment by salexander (original poster) at 9:24 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• If you have done your parenting job right, your child will be able to handle life on his/her own. He's not completely out of your life, just has moved to the next phase. A child who never leaves would be the problem. When each one of my 3 left, I did miss them but was also glad they were moving on to the next phase of their life.
    mikesmom65270

Answer by mikesmom65270 at 9:46 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• You just do!  My daughter is going to university in September.  We will do everything we can to support her.

If you let them go, they will always come home.  If you try to hang on to them, they will break free and never look back.  Metaphorically speaking of course.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 10:20 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• You suck it up and do it. If it helps you can remind yourself that some people actually do lose (as in bury) their children. In other words, being a drama queen about it isn't going to make you or her feel any better.

Anonymous

• Hey anon, bitches like you make this site so much fun. I never implied that a child going off to college is comparable to the death of a child...but thanks for your wise and wonderful advice...bet you are the kind of mom to pack your kids stuff and tell them not to let the door hit them in the ass on the way out.
    salexander

Comment by salexander (original poster) at 1:27 PM on Mar. 9, 2011