Do you discipline your friend's child if they need help

My friend's daughter is a handful and sometimes I step in and help her out. She does the same with my son. I won't do it to any other friends just her.

sandbuster

Asked by sandbuster at 9:13 AM on Mar. 9, 2011 in General Parenting

• It's funny, a close friend of mine has a son the same age as one of ours, and they are best buds, so we just look at each other and we know what to do. We take turns if we're out for the day, and it works because the boys know we back each other up, so they can't get away with it no matter what...lol
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:23 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• when my friends dd is over, she can be a handful...i just remind her that we do have plunty of coners to stick her in and that she needs to remember to listen to her mom or she will not be allowed to play with whatever she's got
    dreamangel06

Answer by dreamangel06 at 9:18 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• No. Most of my friends would have a cow. We all have a look lol, we look at the kid then our friend and she will say oh ok thanks and do what needs to be done.

Answer by gemgem at 9:14 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Depends on the friend. Most of the time however, when a situation needs attention & the child is not mine I tell that child that this is out of my hands & I will be getting their parent. I dont know how many times these kids will beg me please dont get my mom lol If its a minor offense though I will just tell the kids they have to play nicely & share nicely. If its my toy they are playing with that is causing kids to argue I will tell them that I will take the toy away lol so guess it depends on who it is & the situation but I do run a playgorup so often times I have to interject with an issue.
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 9:16 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• For sure you have a gr8 rappo with your friend. Keep it up.... :-)
    AnuMeha

Answer by AnuMeha at 9:18 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• If they asked me for help then yes. Otherwise no. I have a friend that was so overwhelmed with her kids misbehaving once they she asked me if I could do something because they won't listen to her.... so I did. And by discpline I mean take things away, turn off the tv, ect. I would NEVER hit another person's child EVER.
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 9:20 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Depends on the friend.

But I did once totally go OFF on my cousins son. He was prob 7/8 at the time. My Grandfather had just gotten home from hospital (lung cancer) and this child was being VERY disrespectful to my grandfather (his great grandfather) and I'd had enough of my cousin not saying anything. I got a lot of odd/weird looks. But I didnt care. To this day, he shows me respect. (but he's been in and out of juvinelle detention centers, jail, fines)
    MrsDAP

Answer by MrsDAP at 9:24 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• no it is not my place to discipline our people's children if they are doing something wrong I will let the parent know and they take care of itI would NEVER hit another person's child EVER

Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 9:25 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Depends on the situation and even then it would only be a "dont do that" sort of scold. If my friend cant catch it fast enough or if they could hurt themselves or someone else I think it is acceptable to simply tell them no. I dont like like people saying things to my children but if its for their safety I really wouldnt be mad.
    katcb1019

Answer by katcb1019 at 9:33 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Sounds like you and your friend are okay with that, so it works for you two. I usually just use distraction, where I'll divert their attention from what they're doing until my friend steps in and says no, or whatever. In general, I don't discipline anyone's children except for my own, unless they of course are in my care. But if a friend told me it was okay, as in your situation, I would have them discipline first and only step in when absolutely necessary.
    amybaby_19

Answer by amybaby_19 at 9:42 AM on Mar. 9, 2011