Peter King's Muslim hearings, thoughts?

WASHINGTON – The Republican congressman who has organized controversial hearings into radical Islam called Muslims "part of the mosaic" of America Wednesday and said they shouldn't feel threatened or intimidated by his inquiry.

"If there is going to be animosity, I would blame it on my opponents," Rep. Peter King said in a nationally broadcast interview.

King, who heads the House Homeland Security Committee, has come under withering criticism for the hearings scheduled to begin Thursday. Protests have already started, and comparisons to McCarthyism and the era of communist witch hunts are being heard.

In one appearance on morning television, King was asked if he was singling out the Muslim community rather than focusing on a more generalized terror threat against America.

"It might be politically correct, but it makes no sense to talk about other types of extremism, when the main threat to the United States today is talking about al Qaida," King said. He noted that Attorney General Eric Holder has said there have been some 50 homegrown terrorists arrested in this country and that Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano said the threat has never been higher.

"It would diffuse and water down the hearings" to broaden the line of inquiry, King said. The congressman said the hearings are aimed at protecting Muslims from being pressured to commit terrorist acts.

Before coming to Congress, King had been an outspoken supporter of the Irish Republican Army. The then-comptroller of Nassau County, N.Y., told a 1982 pro-IRA rally on Long Island that he supported the IRA's "struggle against British imperialism in the streets of Belfast and Derry," The New York Times reported in Wednesday's editions.

Three years later, it said, King declared, "If civilians are killed in an attack on a military installation, it is certainly regrettable, but I will not morally blame the IRA for it."

King on Wednesday called the article distorted said he wasn't worried that his actions "were wrong."

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 9:35 AM on Mar. 9, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110309/ap_on_re_us/us_muslims_terror_hearings

In 2005, as a member of Congress, King called on the IRA to disband, saying it was a major impediment to peace in Northern Ireland. He accused the outlawed IRA of making a string of bad decisions that had sewn hostility within Irish-American circles.

King told The Associated Press in an interview Tuesday that the IRA and al-Qaida are very different and that the IRA never attacked America.

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 9:35 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• As an Italian, from a Sicilian Immigrant Mother, with a Gambina family name- I can honestly say that our family never bitched about any Mafia hearings or trials.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:38 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• I don't have a problem with them but I'm not sure what he hopes to accomplish.

UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 9:43 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• The truth is the main terrorist threat to the U.S. at this current point in time is from Muslim extremists. Refusing to admit that for the sake of being pc, is silly. 15 years from now, who knows. It could be ginger farmers. And if ginger farmers are the biggest terrorist threat to the U.S., I hope they are focused on without diluting the issue to include cattle ranchers.

None of this means that terrorist threats from other sources should be, or are, ignored. Just that the main focus should be on the main threat.
    SuperChicken

Answer by SuperChicken at 9:46 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• In theory, if you support the uprisings going on in the ME, you should have supported the struggle from the beginning, of the IRA. I have no problem with the hearings occurring.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 10:07 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Exactly superC
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 10:08 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• In theory, if you support the uprisings going on in the ME, you should have supported the struggle from the beginning, of the IRA. I have no problem with the hearings occurring
    ---
    yeah, but that doesn't work for this spin Carpy.
    As any good liberal would, they have to grasp to make it work to their advantage in THIS talking point.
    lol
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 10:31 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• I have absolutely no problem with these hearings. Muslim extremists make it no secret that they would like to take America down, killing as many as they can in the progress. There is no other group who has shown they are interested in Americas ruin as they have. What "other" group would you have them have hearings on? They are also well known for recruiting from within America.
    That's not saying there are no other terrorists but they are not even a blip on the screen compared to Muslim extremists.
    The only people who are fostering animosity is those talking about it. I live in America and I'm in an area that is considered a prime target for terror. I deserve to know what's going on and why.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 10:36 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• This is outrageous. Just what is he hoping to accomplish? Very sick and sad. McCarthyism 100%. I don't even know what will be accomplished from this. Does he think terrorists are going to admit it in these hearings? Or is he going to put a bunch of Muslims on the stand and demand to know who their terrorist leader is? Something tells me this is not about gathering info, but about spraying a bunch of lies around in the form of info.

And shame on everyone who doesn't see the unconstitutionality of this.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 2:26 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• King should change his name to McCarthy.

Friday

Answer by Friday at 2:42 PM on Mar. 9, 2011