Will my body need a stool softener? adult content

I am pregnant with my 3rd child and this is the first child that I have been able to take prenatal vitamins with. Unfortunately they are making me constipated like you wouldnt believe. So the doctor put me on a stool softener but i'm concerned that if I have to take these stool softeners every day for 9 months that my body will end up NEEDING the softener. Anybody have any experience with this?

familynsni

Asked by familynsni at 9:51 AM on Mar. 9, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I believe it is what it says it is, it will just soften your stools, and i am sure its only because your pregnant that you need these, if your concerned call the drs office and talk to the nurse. but i don't think you will need them after you have the baby.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 9:54 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• well you should not need the stool softner after your pregnancy right now your body just alittle out wack but what you can do is increase your fiber intake and this will help you alot and hopefully get you to a point where you might need them even thru the preg. you can try apples or apple juice, prunes or prune juice, cereal thing with raisins, and dark choc help some as well...drink plenty of water and try to walk 30 mins a day anywhere from 3 to 4 times a week or even more if you can handle it. but should notice a difference here soon....oh and with somepeople watermelon help.( i am a nurse and this what i advice my patients) . congrats on your new bundle of joy!!
    mztxdelta

Answer by mztxdelta at 10:03 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• I wonder if you might have better success with a different prenatal vitamin formulation. Check to see if that's possible. Stool softeners don't create dependency to the best of my knowledge.
    Nonoluna

Answer by Nonoluna at 10:05 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Thank you ladies, its kinda embarrassing to talk about your bowel issues but im having a heck of a time! Lets keep our fingers crossed and hope that the stool softeners work! Its actually quite painful! I was just concerned about my body having a dependency on it after I have the baby.
    familynsni

Comment by familynsni (original poster) at 10:11 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• The pregnancy slows the digestive tract and the iron in the prenatals are constipating. Things will change after you give birth and your hormones go back.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 10:19 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Have you tried changing your diet? Increase your fiber intake- more dark green veggies, beans, whole grains. Try to regulate yourself before taking a stool softener. And yes, your system can become dependent on them. If you are having a really hard time (no pun intended) try the occasional cup of coffee (yes you can have a little caffeine every now and then). Coffee is my guarantee!
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 10:22 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• I am really not sure, I didn't have this isssue.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 10:41 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Stool softeners are not the only answer. Investigate taking MAGNESIUM supplements. Lots of good things come from taking Magnesium, and the only down side is exactly the result you're looking for!
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 12:51 AM on Mar. 10, 2011