Back pain from big breasts?

Short of a reduction, is there anything you can do to help ease back pain caused by bigger breasts?

The pain is right along where my bra lies along my back. Probably best described as a throbbing pain radiating outward from around my spine...between my shoulder blades.

I have tried buying bras with wider back straps and shoulder straps, but I have not tried a chiropractor. Any other suggestions? And if you have been to a chiropractor, did it help?

Mom-2-3-Girlz

Asked by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 9:52 AM on Mar. 9, 2011 in Health

• I am in the exact same position as you. I'm 32 weeks pregnant with our last baby so hopefully within a year or so I'll be able to get the reduction.

In the meantime, I sometimes wear two bras or at least a cami with a shelf in it for extra support. You might talk to your doc about getting a back support band (I don't know the technical term for it, sorry but it goes under your clothes and kind of wraps around you and velcros to give you extra support). Good luck!
    EwansMommy

Answer by EwansMommy at 2:32 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Make sure you're wearing the correct bra size, for one. Get measured at a specialty shop or good department store (not Victoria's Secret).
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 9:54 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• .. going to tell you 2 get a breast reduction
    monteza3

Answer by monteza3 at 9:56 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• I had the reduction done. Made a world of difference. It was actually suggested by my doctor and it was covered so it wasn't just cosmetic.

Sorry I can't suggest a better alternative.
    Nonoluna

Answer by Nonoluna at 9:56 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• My friend had a reduction also and she says shes never felt better.

Answer by gemgem at 9:58 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• I come from a family of "top heavy" women...one of my aunts had POUNDS taken out of each breast in a reduction and was still bigger than a D cup. Our genes seem to think that we can support 20lbs of boobs on 100lbs bodies! LMAO! Sometimes I feel like I have to pick my boobs up to breathe.

I am not completely opposed to a reduction, just not until I know I am done having children so I know my ability to nurse is preserved, AND so that I don't just pack them back on in pregnancy or something. If you have had a reduction, was the scarring bad? Painful?

In the mean time, I'm trying to figure something else out.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Comment by Mom-2-3-Girlz (original poster) at 10:04 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• I was going to say the same thing as the PP. If it is causing you pain, insurance companys may cover it. Talk to your doctor about it and see what he or she says. A few of my friends had breast reductions and it made them more confident and took the pain away. Look into it :)
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 10:04 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Talk to your doctor about seeing a physical therapist for exercises to strengthen your back. You may be able to avoid surgery if you strengthen the muscles.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 10:58 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• I'd say have a reduction if you can it can really make a differance
    Momabear455

Answer by Momabear455 at 8:00 PM on Mar. 9, 2011