Peeing when given sugar

My son was thought to have been diabetic last yr. He had multiple high blood sugar readings. His endocrinologist discharged him after normal tests and less high readings.

Now we seem to have some issues again. Every time he has juice, grapes, candy, or any sugar he pees like crazy. Last night he had juice and in 15 minutes he peed through big time and it smells like sugar water!!!!!!! The smell and amount is insane!!! Anyone else experience this??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:07 AM on Mar. 9, 2011 in Kids' Health

• well i would advice that it seem like he is diabetic and just because you come back with a normal test reading once does not mean you are completely in the clear. it just might have been under control at that moment ...we advice our patients to get testing anywhere from every 6 months to at least once a year...you might have to dilute is soda, juice for awhile and limit is sugar intake and see if that make a difference if you dont want to get him retested and you should notice a difference there but we advice you get your sugar the natural way. can i ask how old is your child that will help me understand and help you better
    mztxdelta

Answer by mztxdelta at 10:11 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• He's only 2.5. We rarely give juice or candy cuz of the run ins last yr but when given it,that's what happens
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:15 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• that would be signs of the sugary/carby (because it's not just sugar but high carbs in general) can spike your blood sugar and frequent urination is a sign of high blood sugar.

Did they do blood work or just a finger prick/glusoce meter test? I would ask for an A1c, which gives you a 3 month average of blood glucose levels. Any sign of elevated bg levels ever is pretty much confirmation of diabetes, a non diabetic isn't going to have large spikes (some spike, but not high) what were the high readings he had?
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 10:18 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• The highest he got was 300 and he had an A1c done last June. It was like 5.7?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:21 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• wow yeah a non-diabetic would NEVER have a 300 reading, that's ridiculously high (like if I as a type 2 diabetic eat an entire pizza i'd be a 300).

A 5.7 A1c is good for a diabetic to have but it's slightly elevated for a non-diabetic. At his young age I'd say that he most likely is a type 1 diabetic. A 5.7 is an average of about 127, which would normally be at the borderline of pre-diabetic or diabetic, but this is mainly in type 2's.....which someone so young wouldn't be prone to. I'd make a few calls to other endo's in your area
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 10:26 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• My mom is a T1 and she said the same thing but I just wondered what others thought. I will make calls.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:30 AM on Mar. 9, 2011