Should your husband give you the money when he gets paid? Is it a violation to know how much your husband take home pay is?

ylonda

Asked by ylonda at 5:30 PM on Nov. 22, 2008 in Relationships

• My husband doesn't give me his paycheck, but he always lets me know what his check was and if he spent any of it on anything, just so I know that he isn't hiding any money or spending it on something I wouldn't be okay with. If you're married, I definitely think you have the right to KNOW what's being done with the money you are earning as a family.
    sophiafarris

Answer by sophiafarris at 5:32 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• My husband always gives me his check every week. I pay what I need and do the shopping and he gets whats left. But he mostly makes me keep it all he gets gas and takes maybe 20$ depending on the week
    Anonymous

• Same here, My SO gives me his check, and I pay the bills and do the shopping, unfortunatly there isn't anything left over. I'm still trying to find work.
    ketha04

Answer by ketha04 at 5:38 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• I get his check, I go to the bank, I pay the bills. I usually give him money for his wallet and a little for mine and the rest goes to the bank to pay bills and get groceries. Actually I wish HE would do the budgeting and bill paying. lol.
    evilabbysmom

Answer by evilabbysmom at 5:39 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• No, its not a viloation to know how much he makes, but, it is a private thing, if that makes sense. Good husbands make sure their families are taken care of first!(paying bills, rent, groceries, etc)
    Anonymous

• No, Dh puts his money in his checking account. If I need money for something, I ask him in advance and he may or may not give me the money. It all depends on his mood at the time. I don't have a clue what his take home pay is. I am a SAHM so I get what he allows me to get.
    rcbrown

Answer by rcbrown at 5:44 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• Bull-hell rcbrown I would so not put up with that. My husband comes home, hands me the check I make a budget he looks over it we talk about I pay what I have too..etc.. of course there is never any left over but hey I'm a SHAM but doesn't mean I don't know what my man is making...I got really lucky!!!!!!
    rebel07

Answer by rebel07 at 5:49 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• I wouldn't expect my husband to hand of his pay check to me unless he expected me to manage the houshold finances. Which is the case in my house. If he wants to be the one that is responsible for making sure that the bills get paid on time, then he can keep his pay check. I do believe that it is my RIGHT to know how much his take home pay is! Marriage is a PARTNERSHIP! Even if he brings home ALL the money and I am a just SAHM!
    amydh

Answer by amydh at 5:56 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• My husband works and the money is direct deposited into our joint account. I also have money coming in. The money is never his or mine, it is ours. Our money to pay bills, buy food, and have fun when we can and buy stuff for the kids. I pay all the bills because I am better at budgets then my husband is.. I would consider it a violation if my husband didnt want me to know what he brought home.
    Anonymous

• Wow. These answers surprise me.

My So and I share a checking account. Both of our checks are direct deposit into the account and we each look at each other pay stubs regularly. We pay the bills the day that they arrive in the mail. We both buy and spend what we want unless it is a larger purchase. Then we consult the others opinion. We have no problems whatsoever and love the sharing system.
    girlneffy

Answer by girlneffy at 5:58 PM on Nov. 22, 2008