Is this natural?

I just don't understand.. He is very independent, almost forcibly, or if you want to my husband says he is very independent by force! we try to help him he doesn't want it!

I want to teach him things and play with things.. All he really wants to do is play fire fighter..(Grandpa is a fire fighter) so that is where that comes from.
I want to teach him letters and numbers and colors and crafts but he wants to do it his way.. Even if it's not the way to do it. Then if it doesn't go his way he fights .. I feel its just not worth even trying, he always ends up fighting!!

What can i do. He is strong will. will be 3 on the 22nd.

Help me!

Mrs.Ro

Asked by Mrs.Ro at 10:21 AM on Mar. 9, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• He's acting appropriate for his age. I would just put him in time out for inappropriate behavior and put your foot down. Since his attention span is only about 3 min, you need to come up with some firefighter (abc, colors, numbers) games he can play with you that only last 3 minutes.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 10:25 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• incorporate the numbers and colors into play, make it fun. How many fire trucks are there? what colors are ont he fire trucks? Or tell him oh look at the shiny black tires, there are 4 trucks. Just sitting there forcing him to count etc will not work. Try to find games that you can twist into fire fighter. Our son was and still is into trains...everything revolved around it. So thats what we did, made it fun.
    choco_mom

Answer by choco_mom at 11:40 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Have a daily routine for him by the time he gets up in the morning till the time he goes to bed it worked for me and include shapes, letter, number, colors in it as well. Here is how it worked for me.
    1) wake up, make breakfast and set the table, then ask him to find his chair
    2) as u give him his breakfast say to him wow ur plate is round with red firetrucks
    3) then have playtime until lunch do the same thing u did for breakfast
    4) when quite time or nap time, sit down with a snack with different colors (strawberries, blueberries or even fruit snacks or colored goldfish crackers
    5) then nap time
    6) play time and then at bed time read him a book that has firetrucks in it but with colors, or number or shapes
    Its worked for me and now my son likes to do regular flash cards or even preschool books and he is 3 now
    2boysyahoo.com

Answer by 2boysyahoo.com at 1:45 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Totally normal. Kids this age are developing their autonomy (doing things for themselves) so they want to do EVERYTHING themselves. It's harder on parents I think! LOL
    SherriPie

Answer by SherriPie at 7:55 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• it is normal for this age

Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 9:03 AM on Mar. 10, 2011