How do I take my 22 months old son off a soft nipple sippy?

I took him off the bottle and binky no problem just pulled it and we had no problems afterwards! I put him on a soft nippy cup (mistake) after his bottle. He drinks out of the "nuk" cups. It's blue with a fisherman or he likes the born free cups. I still consider those bottles? I want to get him off the soft nipple completly, but he likes screams if I give him another cup. What should I do? Just deal with the screaming or mad toddler til he gets over the stage that he knows he cant have it no more? Or does anyone know any secrets or tips they want to share? PLEASE HELP!!!!!

collynsmommy09

Asked by collynsmommy09 at 10:25 AM on Mar. 9, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I had no problems pulling my kids off of the bottle or there binkie, but I also never tried a cup like you have, but a suggestion how about taking him to Babies R Us that have a wide selection on sippy cups and letting him pick out a cup that he would like drinking out of. Or introduce him to a straw cup.
    chippies101

Answer by chippies101 at 10:33 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• I seriously have every single cup walmart sells. Everytime we go he picks out "toy story" cups. He loves toy story, but when we get home he refuses to drink out of them! If its a soft nipple he will drink out of it, and he will walk around sucking on the nipple even if there is nothing in it. and it drives me insane! Because there was no problem what so ever taking him off the bottle which was 10 months, but I put him on the soft nipple cups (mistake again) which is just like a bottle. I took his binky away by 10 months and we didn't have any problems. I think i'm just going to have to pull the cup. "out of site out of mind" and if he gets thirsty enough he will drink out of it. if you have anymore advice or ideas i'll be glad to listen!
    collynsmommy09

Comment by collynsmommy09 (original poster) at 10:40 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• If he is only 22 months then I wouldn't worry about it just yet, try again in a few months. I'm not sure what those are, do they look like a bottle??
    choco_mom

Answer by choco_mom at 11:45 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Does location make any difference? It's weird, but my son is sometimes more willing to try new things when we are out. I'm trying to teach him how to drink from a real cup, but it frustrates him because he keeps trying to bite it so more spills on his shirt than in his mouth (he doesn't know what to do with his lips). But he's got to practice until he figures it out, so I'll bring it to the park or I'll let him drink from my cup at the zoo (water only). For some reason, he doesn't seem too bothered by it there.

You could also see if he likes drinking out of a straw (and stop using sippys at all). I taught my son how to do it by giving him a juice box. When he got the straw in his mouth, I squeezed the box and he caught on pretty quicky. Now we mostly use the Take-n-Toss cups with straws (they rarely spill).
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 2:36 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• no they dont really look like bottles, they have handles and stuff on them. just the soft nipple, and it drives me insane, because he likes to carry them around sucking on the nipple, even if nothing is in there to drink. He does fine with a regular cup but i cant give him one in the car. i have tried the straw cups, and he will take a couple sips, he just dont like it. everyone keeps telling me he wll give it up when he is ready. but i dont want him being 3 walkign around sucking on a cup. not even 2. just this past week, i stopped giving it to him all day except when he lays down for a nap or goes to bed at night. i want to break him of that to, just don't know where to begin?
    collynsmommy09

Comment by collynsmommy09 (original poster) at 12:14 AM on Mar. 16, 2011