I'm concerned about somethiong here.

I've haven't been working for alittle over 10 years .because I wanted to stay home with my children. But now They are a little older And I want to go back to work. I seem to be having trouble finding some where to work. because of the long gap of opening space that Iv'e not been working. I don't know if having to want to stay home with the kids for a while as not a good reason for them or what? If I still have a shot of working somewhere can anybody tell me where I can go to look. M aybe I'm looking in the wrong placeses.thanks in advance. help.....please.

incarnita

Asked by incarnita at 10:28 AM on Mar. 9, 2011 in Money & Work

• Think out of the box ladies. The job market is tough out there as it is, let alone having a gap on your resume. millions of people are going into business on their own. If you have been able to run an organized house, understand you really need to work a home business...you will succeed. Paul Zane Pilzer, economist who predicted the .com boom, says there will be one million new Millionaires in the network marketing sector...but only with the companies in the health and wellness industries. Everyone needs to be creative these days...take control and look at business opportunities. Good luck
    marywoz

Answer by marywoz at 12:34 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Yeah, it's hard. Employers see that you've been out of the work-force for so long, and they worry that you're no good at it anymore. Jobs usually require a different way of thinking/working than running a household. Plus there is a bias against moms... it's assumed that your first priority is the kids, not the job. So if they have a choice between a mom with no recent work experience or someone who has tons of recent proof of work-related productivity and no other obvious committments, they'll take the second guy.

College classes or other job training is a great way to transition. And if you can afford it, try to do some volunteer work where you are basically doing a job (office assistance, website management, etc.) to show that you are really useful and productive in a way that they understand.

Good luck!
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 10:52 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• I'm in the same boat. and have been for 8 mos. (sorry)
    kkbird

Answer by kkbird at 10:34 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• I dread it when I start looking for a job when all the kids are in school- that'll be in 2 years, roughly, and I'll have been unemployed for almost 12 years. Yikes.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 10:37 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• You might need to revise your resume. A resume that focuses on skills instead of where you worked is better for people who are going for a career changes or who have gaps in their employment. Do a search online for "functional resume templates" and then write yours.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 11:43 AM on Mar. 9, 2011