Who do you believe? Punish one or both?

My 6 yr old accused my 14 yr old of kicking him. he was crying but he's a good actor. I just don't know who to believe anymore. My 14 yr old has hurt the little ones but I never know who is lying now.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:34 AM on Mar. 9, 2011 in General Parenting

• Ya. Talk to both of them & make them understand things as you haven't seen them fighting..
    AnuMeha

Answer by AnuMeha at 10:36 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• I always punish both in that situation.

Answer by gemgem at 10:37 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• I have gone through that too. my kids are 7 yrs apart. they both have been the one to start it at times. I guess the best you can do is tell them both to be nice to each other and its not really fair if you didn't see it and they both have different stories. I know i was probally no help at all.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 10:37 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• I punish both as well. My younger daughter started faking it when she thought she could get our older daughter in trouble - that stopped when she got punished too.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:39 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• I would separate them, tell them to find their own separate activities to do and to leave each other alone for the rest of the day, and let them know that any more interactions with each other, I would find chores for them to do all day to keep them separate and busy.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 10:40 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• the 14yr old is old enough to know better. If little one is bothering him he should just tell you and NOT HIT OR KICK someone so small. SO I would tell them both to knock it off. and explain that little one looks up to him wanting his attention of course and that if 14 yr old wants some alone time to tell you and you will put 6 yr old doing something on his own for a while. But its not ok to get physical.
    kkbird

Answer by kkbird at 10:40 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• i would punish both. that way they both get the message you mean business. and eventually they might stop...
    ginahodges21

Answer by ginahodges21 at 10:43 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• punish both.
    MarGeee

Answer by MarGeee at 11:01 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• my mom tried that a few times until she realized that my sister figured it was worth getting punished to see me get into trouble.
    my sister didn't mind the punishment, mom would send us to our rooms and she'd read a book!
    While I was going crazy because I wanted to be out and active.

does your computer have a web cam that maybe you can set up? I'm pretty sure such evidence is admissible in 'mom's court'
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:45 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Punish both.
    laura67-boo

Answer by laura67-boo at 12:17 PM on Mar. 9, 2011