When should i start potty training a boy?

he is 16 months and just discover he is a boy( if you know what i mean). lol he is my first boy and am needing any tips on how and when to start potty training him. thanx gina

ginahodges21

Asked by ginahodges21 at 10:40 AM on Mar. 9, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would like to hear some too. We aren't quite ready to potty train yet, but never too soon to learn. I'm bumping you, because I want to know to. My son does follow me to the bathroom, and I explain to him what I am doing. I figure that's a start, right?
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 10:47 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• In my opinion 16 months is a little young. Boys generally potty train later than girls. You can get him a potty and let him sit on it but don't expect much and above all do not push him into it. Let him set the pace and you can encourage him as he shows interest. Keep in mind though that he may not actually show much interest until he is at least 2. You can definitely talk to him but keep it pressure-free. I did this with my son and he just went at his own pace and when he was ready there was no turning back and he rarely had any accidents after that. Hope this helps some :)
    cowboysgirl3227

Answer by cowboysgirl3227 at 10:55 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• mommy_jules: ya my son is always following me to the bathroom. between him and my bf i never have any privacy...
    ginahodges21

Comment by ginahodges21 (original poster) at 11:03 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• my son showed intrest in the potty at 1 and half but i thought he was to young to even learn or start so i shrugged it off, then when he turned 2 it was a battle with him on it, so i called the nurse and she said don't force him to cuz ur just potty training urself, and when he is good and ready he will do it. Well i was determined becuase i was about to have his brother and was not wanting two kids in diapers, but then i heard of olders ones going back so i gave up. Then when my now 5month old son was about 3 weeks old my now 3 year old son said mommy no diapers for me, pull ups, it was a shock didn't bleive him and sure enough with in 5 days he was in underewear, He had barley no accidents and to this day he still barley has accidents, even though he is in pull up for nap and bed time.
    SO i would say wait till he is at least 2 and a half but let him see and everyone else go he will get there?
    2boysyahoo.com

Answer by 2boysyahoo.com at 11:03 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• My son started walking and I would have his Dad and older brother take him into the bathroom with them. Boys are very hard to potty train but children learn from what they see. He started off wanting to stand at the potty but then it was all fun for him especially wearing his favorite characters on his underpants. So I would say about 16 months you have to introduce it to them slowly. Good Luck!!
    Mudda69

Answer by Mudda69 at 11:24 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• so should i let him go in the bathroom when my bf goes to the bathroom?
    ginahodges21

Comment by ginahodges21 (original poster) at 11:40 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• when he's ready..j.ust b/c he's discovered himself doesn't mean he's interested. if he is pushed too early, it will turn him off. I know quite a few boys who this happened to and they are now 3 1/2 and still won't go.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 12:01 PM on Mar. 9, 2011