It was 17 degrees outside today. A mom had a baby, maybe about 9 months out in the cold for about one hour with no mittens..

This little baby girl was in her stroller with her bare red little fingers out in the blistery cold SCREAMING bloody murder. We were in line to see Santa outside.

I looked at her mom who was all bundled up with gloves on and kind of hinted to the mom about it being so cold outside and how my fingers are frozen with gloves on. She nodded in agreement and still did nothing with her frozen baby girl.

I am not the one to parent others but is there something I could have done?

girlneffy

Asked by girlneffy at 5:38 PM on Nov. 22, 2008 in General Parenting

• You could have said something....but more than likely the mother would have gotten defensive.....people are so thoughtless....we had a 3 year old dropped off at our daycare a few days ago in a halter top and no jacket or sweater at all....it was around 35 degrees outside!!!!!!!!!!

We went to our extra cloths box and found her a long sleeve....we sent her home in it with a note about how she was complaining of being cold. Some people!!!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 5:41 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• If she had a blanket around I would have reached down and some how put her hands under. Then tell the mom what you did
    Anonymous

• Thats sad..If they didnt have mittens,,,socks would have worked
    Anonymous

• On the other hand mom may have put mittens on the child several times already and the child taken them off. My ds was one of those! We were out one day and someone said something to me I handed her the mittens and said "please try I cannot get him to keep them on" he was about that age and bit her! I agree that there are alot of parents who do nto dress their kids for the weather, but there could be a side you didn't see.
    Anonymous

• yes you're just as wrong as she was. you did exactly what she did for AN HOUR...ABSOLUTELY NOTHING! you could've said, omgosh your baby's hands must be freezing(make her look like an idiot), offered her something, or if it was me, I would've said "You think your hands are cold with gloves, what about your daughter you are ignoring". we are the voice for these children when others won't listen. remember that.
    NoDramaMamma

Answer by NoDramaMamma at 5:48 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• nodramamama....thats a lot of possible drama you are asking for there... like the poster above said, their might have been other circumstances that outsiders dont know about. I would never want to make another mother feel like an idiot. help her......maybe but embarrase her....no.....I know as moms we have all made dumb choices from time to time....and I hope no one calls them out rudely to me....
    Anonymous

• I wouldn't look down on another mom. A baby at 9 months probably won't keep her gloves on. I know that I would pull them off.
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 7:12 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• well a 9 month old baby doesn't understand that if she takes off her mittens then her hands will be cold, she just knows she wants them off so that mother should have skipped santa and taken the baby inside or wrapped a blanket around her fingers/arms and tucked them in the stroller....the poor girl could have gotten frostbite. I would've said something (nicely) and if that didn't work then something rudely, i'm sorry but you don't just let your baby freeze b/c you don't feel like putting the mittens back on ten times, their are other options. Go see Santa inside a mall.
    kstn415

Answer by kstn415 at 10:23 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• I'm shocked that she would be standing out there at all, with or without mittens! Not sure what you really could have done, maybe offer her something to use if you had it. I always have extra hats, mittens, blankets either in my purse or in the van. It's inevitable that something will get lost, so we have extra! It is possible that the baby kept taking them off, but if that were the case, she should have left. Tough situation. That poor baby!
    mom2XandZ

Answer by mom2XandZ at 10:35 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• if the child had gotten frostbite and lost a finger or fingers than the police would have been notified and she would have been charged with neglect.
    kstn415

Answer by kstn415 at 10:43 PM on Nov. 22, 2008