When and how do you start your LO on meats?

Just wondering...he's almost 5 months and I've started him on several different vegetables and fruits. What about meat? I know with adults, for example, if you haven't eaten beef in a long time it will make you sick. So is starting a baby on meat different than any other baby food?

cjo1366

Asked by cjo1366 at 5:50 PM on Nov. 22, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You are supposed to introduce one food per week. That helps to insure there are no allergies and if there are then you know which food caused the allergy. Once you work through most of the varieties of foods then you step up into meats and again one at a time. At around 12-16 months you can start giving meals. Like mac & cheese with green beans, Mashed potatoes, things like that.

Answer by gemgem at 6:00 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• I started meat when my son was 6 months old and he has some ham (real ham not babyfood ham) first.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 7:22 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• my son didn't get meat until around 10 months. i only give fully cooked turkey or chicken (no deli meat) because they are the leanest and have the most protein.
    prettylob1

Answer by prettylob1 at 7:48 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• I started my son at a year. He didn't get any solids until he was 6 months old. He started with chicken and worked his way up to other meats. He didn't get any hot dogs or lunch meats until just recently(he's 20 months) and I get him the closest thing to natural I can find. He's still not a huge fan of meats and that is fine by me!
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 8:33 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• If your son is still on formula or breast milk then he is getting everything he needs no need to worry about it.
    imtheonlysane1

Answer by imtheonlysane1 at 9:15 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• Thanks for all of the answers!! Very helpful:O)
    cjo1366

Answer by cjo1366 at 10:24 PM on Nov. 22, 2008