How can I stop spending just to make me happy on foolish things with this bad economy?

stop using credit cards

ineedcoffeenow

Asked by ineedcoffeenow at 12:40 AM on Jul. 9, 2008 in Money & Work

• We started going to the library about once a week. I may not have time to read, but they also have movies and cds you can borrow. It's almost like shopping, I get to burn all the cds and movies I want and it doesn't cost a dime. I battle with shopping addictions, I spend when I'm depressed. But with the economy the way it is now, I think twice about all purchases. Is it a want or a need? I even got a second job, super part time(5 hrs a week), at my favorite clothing store just for the discount. Instead of going out and spending a couple hundred at the bar, we have bbqs and dinner parties. I also give my credit cards to my husband. If I don't have the cash to buy something I wait or consult with him. We also make shopping lists, where I used to just go to the store and walk down every single isle grabbing anything that tickled my fancy at the moment haha. It's harder to give into impulse purchases when you have a list to go by.
    Spooka

Answer by Spooka at 1:02 AM on Jul. 9, 2008

• Cut the cards up and you wont have them to use. Also ask yourself before ANY purchase. "Do I really need this? Or do I just want it?"
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 1:07 AM on Jul. 9, 2008

• Thanks for the answers....I am trying the need and want question but it hasn't worked yet....I still continue to buy.
    ineedcoffeenow

Answer by ineedcoffeenow at 1:39 AM on Jul. 9, 2008

• Find something to occupy your time that is free. baking,sewing,swimming, etc
    momagarry

Answer by momagarry at 2:05 AM on Jul. 9, 2008

• It was pretty bad for me for awhile.I'd get online and stay up till three in the morning shopping.I loved how easy it was to find exactly what I wanted and by it while sitting in a chair.I loved it when the UPS truck would show up.Eventually it took a toll on finances and relationships and that wasn't worth the little high I got from shopping. I cut off my internet service for about a year.I threw away all shopping catalogs.I gave my husband my ccard.And, not that everyone shops at Walmart, but it's a bad place to be when you don't have willpower.You go in for groceries and come out with clothes jewelry and furniture.Go to the stores that only the things you need to get.I go for walks,kick ball and ride bike with my son,go on picnics.Now I'm back on the internet but not for shopping.When I get that urge, I do something else that either excites me or exhausts me.Good luck!
    callico

Answer by callico at 2:28 AM on Jul. 9, 2008

• CUT THEM UP! If you don't have them then you can't spend.Think of it this way what is more important your children or yourself? If you spend and spend for yourself there's less money that you have for your kids.When I was first able to get a credit card a long time ago I activated 6 credit cards at once.I was so in debt and then finally I realized that it's not worth being in debt.If you can't afford it then you shouldn't buy it.
    amandahannigan

Answer by amandahannigan at 2:51 AM on Jul. 10, 2008

• Try buying only with cash. This has helped our family a lot. If you don't carry the cards with you then you can't use them.
    wilbursdaughter

Answer by wilbursdaughter at 12:35 PM on Jul. 11, 2008

• Take cash out of the ATM on payday.... limit yourself. Once the cash is gone, you CANNOT buy anything else until payday.
    crazysocks830

Answer by crazysocks830 at 1:04 AM on Jul. 16, 2008