Does CafeMom need a specific category for blended families?

I see "general parenting" and other family related categories, but my guess is that there are a TON of blended family questions out there - stepmom's, stepdaughters, stepgrandmothers, step-aunts, etc...

If 50% of all marriages end in divorce, and 75% of re-marriages end in divorce, wouldn't you think that blended family issues would be more prominent on CafeMom?

Do you think it would be important to have such a category? And why?

texassahm

Asked by texassahm at 6:02 PM on Nov. 22, 2008 in General Parenting

• Why doesn't that fit under general parenting? I have been in a situation like this for a long time. My last marriage I was a step mom and this marriage my husband is the step dad. I guess it might be beneficial to have a seperate category but I never honestly thought much about it.
    cat1622

Answer by cat1622 at 6:30 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• I think it would be helpful. I see lots of questions about dealing with step children and other parents. I never know what to say since I'm not in that situation, just like I rarely have any answers for people with older kids... I haven't been there or dealt with that. I think a spot for blended family questions would be helpful for people in that situation to find answers, see other suggestions, and to know they aren't alone without having to hunt through all the categories.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 6:37 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• I think a blended family category should be added. It's not "general parenting" at all. I've been a stepmom for nearly 10 years and in my experience, there are no other women out there who understand what I go through, other than other stepmoms themselves. We are a VERY unique breed of maternal roles. There are so many issues that go along with being a stepmother, or as a biomom in a divorced situation, that would make a specific category useful. Court battles, visitation, custody issues, arguements between ex spouses and new spouses, and then I'd also like to hear from families who have made a successful family out of a tough situation. So, YES!!! Add a blended family, or step parent category! If you're a step parent, you know what I mean when I say there is no one else who understands your tough job other than other stepmoms!!!
    texassahm

Answer by texassahm at 11:12 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Exactly! If you are not a stepmom then you do not understand what we stepmoms go through. Being a stepdaughter might help, but until you have walked in the shoes of a stepmom, you don't get it. Being a stepmom is NO WHERE NEAR "General Parenting".
    texassahm

Answer by texassahm at 10:56 PM on Oct. 5, 2009