I CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE!!!!!!!! adult content

My 2 1/2 year old doesn't even seem like my daughter anymore. She screams, hits, kicks, slaps, hits the animals, just yells constantly. I am trying to be SO patient with her to the point of just walking away and crying. Im ready to put her in daycare in the afternoons just so I can have a break. I stay home with her and we do everything we possibly can. parks, play areas, story times, etc.....I don't know how to handle her!!!!! Im losing my damn mind and can't even stand to be around her anymore :( I dno't know what to do. Timeouts are a complete joke...i've tried a chart for positive reinforcement..taht worked for about a week or so. I've spanked her, slapped her hand when she hits me or the animals and she just does it even harder...she seems angry and I don't know why!!!

calliesmommie

Asked by calliesmommie at 11:47 AM on Mar. 9, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Have you thought maybe she is just strong willed? My son went through many "nasty" behavior phases and you just have to stay striong and reword HOW you ask or approach strong willed children..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:40 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Daycare a couple of hours a day or a couple days a week might be what you are both needing at the moment. I'd try it.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 11:51 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• how is her communication? i mean can she communicate like a typical 2.5 year old?

also, what is in her diet? LAKE dyes - artifical food dyes put in almost everything CAN have a huge affect like this in SOME kids
    read food labels, red 40, yellow 5, blue 1 most common ones
    red 40 made my daughter INSANE!!! when i took it out, she was much better

hope this helps you
    or some other mom

LAKE dyes can cause this in some kids

google red 40
    read past what the US FDA says about LAKE dyes
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 11:54 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• she is an excellent commincator....she eats healthier than most adults do. very organic, natural...no candy, sweets etc...very little juice (diluted) I'll have to look at the labels on the stuff I do give her. thanks
    calliesmommie

Comment by calliesmommie (original poster) at 11:56 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• wow...communicator** sorry.
    calliesmommie

Comment by calliesmommie (original poster) at 11:57 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Has there been a change in your home lately, besides they way she is acting, have u been stressed lately? Kids pick up on that which can cause them to act out. Sounds like you are giving her lots of attention, so that can't be it. Maybe she would do well in a daycare for a couple hours a day or even a playgroup would be nice. Hang in there. Just try to look at the reasons she could be so angry. Also, with the timeouts, be strict and consistant. When she gets up, put her back in time out ans start her time over again. Eventually she will learn to just sit there. I went through this will my oldest DD when I had my youngest. It is tough, but it will get better. Just be consistant and do not give in.
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 11:57 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• I think a little time-out for both of you might help -- I would try a mother's day out program a couple times per week? SOunds like maybe she is going through a phase. Luck!
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 11:57 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• see the doctor. I feel like a broken record here, but before you start with discipline, i would rule out any health or mental issues to be sure. Then yes, maybe a moring preschool program (strict) would help her to learn to listen. Be honest with them when enrolling and tell them she needs some sructure and discpline from authority figures.

Not trying to be harsh here eihter, but you have a responsibiity to keep those animals safe and free from harm until she can be nice to them. I would keep her separated from them until then. It's soooooo not fair and sad to see an animal take a kids abuse.
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 11:58 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• @boobarandbell...about the animals, that's why I have slapped her hand. That is one thing I DONT agree with...is kids mistreating animals. We are very kind to them, which is why I don't get where that is coming from. I tell her that they love her and I always have a very close eye on her if she gets near them.
    calliesmommie

Comment by calliesmommie (original poster) at 12:00 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• The daycare or some kind of respite sounds like an excellent idea...
    May I share that my Down Syndrome daughter-17 and I , 57 are still going through this...However, I have made some adjustments in MY attitude that in turn have helped her make an adjustment in HER attitude....
    She is just learning to communicate..but in her case it is an authority challenge..I was tested-and I was failing,.until I learned to get my voice and whole body under control reacting to her opposition with calmness. "Let's try this again." Step by step..options to turn to.if A fails.
    I have been seriously working with my daughter a little more than a year.Homeschooling and much religion in our lives.This is what has helped me:
    Healthy diet, consistency with discipline; taking a deep breath.;giving her two choices: .Behave-she is rewarded..Choose not to- consequences.Monitor TV. Compliment often."I like the way you did that" ..Love always! ((Hugs))
    VeronicaTex

Answer by VeronicaTex at 2:52 PM on Mar. 9, 2011