Why dont lds people let there kids play with un lds kids? and why dont they teach there kids to be nice to other kids?

my kids dont go to the lds church very often there lds but dont go. my kids are always wanting to play with some one but all there is is lds kids and there parents wont let them play and i dont under stand. we started going to church more and my son 12 just got baptised and every one is starting to talk to us now just caise were going to church were no different now then what we were then were the same people. the bishope actuly speaked to us and we have lived here for 3 years and he hasnt spoken to us that whole time

toomanibabyz

Asked by toomanibabyz at 6:12 PM on Nov. 22, 2008 in General Parenting

• lol.. no idea. i live in utah.. have my whole life. i was not raised in the church, so I was a real outsider.. if i slept over at friends houses that were lds, they would make sure it was on a satruday so i would be stuck going to church with them on sunday.. then they would do their best to convert me over to 'the dark side'. At 11 years old I questioned their beliefs about the end of the world.. and they kicked me out. Nice huh. i have real beef with that religion, though I married into a very lds family (my husband is not active).. they are all super nice and really acepting of who i am, etc... so I think it just depends on the extremities of the religion in the area you are in....
    VelvetCat

Answer by VelvetCat at 6:26 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• Just IMO, but sounds like you picked the wrong church. My dad is a Baptist preacher....and he doesn't care what "label" (catholic, baptist, methodist, lds, etc) you are...you are kind and courteous, doesn't matter if you attend his church or not. He is friendly to all. And he brought me up to be that way as well, it shows respect to others. Sounds like your church is acting more like a click than a church. Maybe you could try another church, lds or not, and see if maybe it's the people who are the problem. You'll be a lot happy with a congregation that is friendly and supportive than one who acts as tho you have to earn the right to be spoken to.
    RenaeMom3277

Answer by RenaeMom3277 at 6:29 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• It's weird but I never noticed this growing up. My dad was in the army and we rarely lived near any other LDS families. I played with anyone and everyone. When I was in high school, we moved to a city with a large LDS population and I found the girls at church wanted nothing to do with me. I always figured it was because I'd seen more and done more than they had and just had a different life view. But I've heard from other people that they've had similar probelms, that LDS families tend to stick with other LDS families and even exclude non-active members. It's weird and I have no idea why. As you know, there's no "code" or anything saying to stay away from non-members or inactive members. If anything, the teachings of the church would support the opposite view. I'm sorry you've had trouble.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 6:30 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• I might want to clarify, when I said "picked the wrong church" I didn't mean wrong beliefs. I meant the actual building with the people inside.
    RenaeMom3277

Answer by RenaeMom3277 at 6:31 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• I am not LDS but in high school my very best friend was she ahd lots of non LDS friends
    abellvalerie

Answer by abellvalerie at 7:06 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• That sounds just like the church to me. My mom is LDS and all her church going friends will talk to me and let their kids play with my son. The ONLY incident I had was when my mom was trying to get me to convert and sent me to the camp with the bumble bees or Mia maids (something like that). I was baptized Catholic and now consider myself Pagan. I had girls there giving me issues until I beat the shit out of one. They called the bishop and I never really went back. But I help them all the time with bake sales and projects and they have never given me a problem. So it just sounds like that church to me.
    TheDragn01

Answer by TheDragn01 at 7:52 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• I'm LDS and I always had tons of friends who weren't LDS. My kids don't have many yet, but that's because they aren't in school so they only hang out with kids from Church. My friends who aren't LDS don't have kids yet, so they can't hang out with them.

I'm sorry that you've had that experience. As with any group of people (whether they are religious, like the same kinds of books, breastfeed, etc.) there are some bad apples who want to be exclusive and rude to others. Most LDS people will be friends with anyone (as long as they're not creepy or something) and won't be trying to convert you all the time. I would be ecstatic if some of my friends would join the Church, but they're not interested and that's okay. I don't sit around slipping Books of Mormon into their purses or shaming them into attending Church with me. ;-)
    degsyuna

Answer by degsyuna at 8:08 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• I'm not sure but I have a close friend that's mormon that I grew up with and we lived only a couple blocks from each other. Her parents had no problems with us playing together. Maybe it's just that family or that congregation. Each church and denomination is different with their "rules and regulations"...part of the reason I never chose a religion. We're just Christian.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:14 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• We have a playgroup that started when the kids were born and one of the moms is lds and we have never had a problem and her husband works for the church as a teacher. We have had them over for dinner and our kids play together often. My husband has a very good friend who is lds as well and again no problem. Maybe it is just that circle of people. It is kinda like saying all lawyers are blood suckers but in fact maybe a few are but it is a gross generalization. Good luck to you.

Winter711

Answer by Winter711 at 9:41 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• One of my daughters best friends is lds and we are not.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 9:52 PM on Nov. 22, 2008